Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Thats it i've had enough

(19 Posts)
nutcracker Thu 02-Jun-05 09:17:36

Have had 2 court summons today for non payment of council tax.

I am only 2 payments behind but they are now saying they want the whole year in full.

I am gonna ring them obviously but i've just had enough of this. We cannot afford to pay what we have to pay them each month but apparently we aren't entitled to council tax benefit.

At this rate we are gonna have to move again just to cut down our outgoings.
Getting this house was ment to be a good thing but it's all going wrong, it's too much.

beansprout Thu 02-Jun-05 09:22:25

Sorry to hear this Nutty. How can they be so unreasonable? Surely if you are willing to pay a bit, that would be ok?

Freckle Thu 02-Jun-05 09:30:54

Nutty, have you been to CAB to see if they can sort out your budget for you? Also for them to negotiate with the council over payment of arrears? Very often councils will listen to CAB where they won't listen to the debtor, because it shows that the debtor is taking their position seriously.

emily05 Thu 02-Jun-05 09:31:11

I think that if you contact them they migt except payments. Council tax is such a bloody rip off. contact them as soon as you can.

Freckle Thu 02-Jun-05 09:31:12

Also, get CAB to do a benefits check for you in case you are missing out on something.

nutcracker Thu 02-Jun-05 09:32:25

Oh i don't know, am just sick of it now.

MarsLady Thu 02-Jun-05 09:35:45

nutty no giving up girl! call the CAB and let's get it sorted!

nutcracker Thu 02-Jun-05 09:37:29

Right have just rung and I have to pay £185 a month from the 15th of this month otherwise it goes to court and costs will be added etc.

emily05 Thu 02-Jun-05 09:38:31

blimey thats alot! How long for??

nutcracker Thu 02-Jun-05 09:39:02

Dp doesn't know either so he will be impressed.

nutcracker Thu 02-Jun-05 09:40:10

8 mths.

It is this years account and 2 payments i missed from the end of last years. Plus they have added over £100 for the summons letters.

Hermione1 Thu 02-Jun-05 09:41:06

Know exactly how you feel. when we moved we thoiught it would be great, beable to have the money to sort this place out etc etc, but reality is that things went so wrong badly wrong. We had something from the council tax saying that if we didn't pay then it would go to court, did you not have a warning?? before that summons? I am not 100% sure on this but i think you're meant to have a letter stating that if you do not pay it will go to court. because i believe it might be illegal if they don't , but don't quote me on that cause i could be wrong.

emily05 Thu 02-Jun-05 09:41:48

I would go to the CAB and figure out a budget because that is a lot of money. I would get further advice about this.

nutcracker Thu 02-Jun-05 09:43:11

I had a letter saying i had missed payments but not that it would go to court no.

MarsLady Thu 02-Jun-05 09:44:28

c'mon nutty, you need to get advice and get this sorted. It can't be allowed to steal your joy about your new home.

nutcracker Thu 02-Jun-05 09:51:10

Have just looked up the nearest CAB, just trying to figure out where abouts is is now.

emily05 Thu 02-Jun-05 09:53:54

the cab website has good bits of advice incase you cant make in into one of the branches today here

jessicasmummy Thu 02-Jun-05 09:54:41

u can also talk to most cab's through messenger.....

emily05 Thu 02-Jun-05 19:00:29

nutcracker - any luck today?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: