Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can I pay a 10k cheque into my bank a/c without them thinking I'm dodgy?

(6 Posts)

I'm sure I read somewhere that anything 10k or over sets off money laundering alarm bells. Its an inheritance from my Gran, but my brother got all the money as he's executor and he's just sent me a cheque. I don't have any paperwork relating to an inheritance.

weegiemum Sat 05-Sep-09 13:03:31

Yes, you can.

Not so much Money laundering, as the bank ended up chasing us (after I inherited a sum) asking us how we wanted to "invest" it.

Ended up "investing" in the mortgage, the credit card bill and the Inland Revenue. Funtimes!

Well I'm sure I can have great pleasure in telling Barclays that they don't have an a/c payng a good enough interest rate and once its in my current account its going to ING savings! grin Thanks.

shinyshoes Sat 05-Sep-09 13:07:22

worry about it when they come a knockin'. grin.

You've done nothing wrong have you and you have no choice but to pay it into a bank. I wouldn't worry about it to be honest

I know my DH tried to pay 10k off the mortgage recently and they refused to accept it unless he could prove where the money had come from. He couldn't be bothered with photocopyng 2 years of statements, etc so paid £9999 off instead which was fine.

mustrunmore Sat 05-Sep-09 13:10:32

I paid in 21k when I sold my flat once, and it took forever for them to decide it was safe to accept, so you might have to allow a good block of time to do it! I think I was in TSB about an hour hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now