Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Sharing my mobile phone nightmare in the hope it will help other people [grin]

(9 Posts)
Wonderstuff Fri 04-Sep-09 22:37:21

Was with Vodafone, am a Virgin Media customer and about a year ago they offered me a really good mobile phone deal. Call Vodafone, 'we can match that' they said, less hassle I thought. Anyway the last 3 months of the contract they removed the discount, I called them, 'we are sorry you weren't told about this when you renewed' they said, it is our policy, nothing we can do..

Anyway eventually got some of the money back as 'goodwill' but have moved to a really good rolling contract with Virgin (£8.50 a month for 100 minutes, 200 texts and 200 minutes to Virgin mobiles) wanted to transfer my number and keep my phone. I called Vodafone, got my PUK code so I could transfer my number, gave it to Virgin, fab I thought that wasn't too hard.

BUT neither company warned me that my phone handset was locked to Vodafone, I had no idea, but I also need a code to unlock my phone. Called Vodafone who said that as I wasn't a Vodafone customer they couldn't help, 'go to an independent retailer' Googled, found a company, got scamed for £4 - brought 'unlocking report' not code, they sent me an email telling me to call Vodafone!!

Anyway more investigation I found that I could get a free sim from Vodafone, and so have ordered one which will make me a Vodafone customer therefore qualify me for unlocking code! What a palarva, no mobile for a week while I sort it all out!

Anyway moral of story 1) There are some fantastic deals if you want to save money
2)Check your phone handset doesn't need unlocking before you transfer your number.

Sorry long and dull but I wish I had know all that a week ago.

NeedCoffee Fri 04-Sep-09 22:58:03

thanks for the hreads up. I hate all mobile phone companies grr

Wonderstuff Fri 04-Sep-09 23:27:25

I don't know which company to be more pissed at tbh. Bloke at Vodafone said 'did you not think to get this sorted before you switched' I think phone companies are run by geeks who assume everyone knows all about this stuff.

skihorse Sat 05-Sep-09 17:14:14

The reason why the phones are so "cheap" when you walk in to a shop is because they are locked to a network, ergo subsidised. But, I agree it's not obvious to normal members of the public.

Wonderstuff Sat 05-Sep-09 17:21:10

skihorse apparently Vodafone no longer locks its phones to their network. If I had asked before I changed my number they would have happily done it for nothing! V. annoying that neither company thought to mention locked phones when advising on pac codes hmm

skihorse Sat 05-Sep-09 17:47:31

Twats. I have a VF work phone but the handset died - so last xmas I bought a cheapie payg VF one. Easy-peasy I thought - just swap SIM cards? Ho no. Luckily I have a mate who works there who unlocked the SIM - never mind the network ffs.

Wonderstuff Sat 05-Sep-09 18:17:13

What a nightmare!
Now the policy is to unlock PAYG phones if the handset is over a year old, new handsets are sold unlocked.

mamas12 Sat 05-Sep-09 19:23:16

omg I sooo hate that attitude that we should know these things ffs I'm too old to know these things that's why I'm asking GGGGRRRRRRRRRR.
Just bought a new desk top computer and it doesn't have sound.
The bloke at currys says you need speakers love.
If I#d a known that when I was buying it I would have bought a different one!!!

xxxxBAMBOOxxxx Sat 05-Sep-09 19:27:36

I used to be able to my local market and get a phone unlocked there and then for about a fiver. Not sure if that still happens

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now