Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Anyone knowledgable on Company Pensions?

(8 Posts)
flier Thu 03-Sep-09 15:41:20

DH has been told that he can opt to have his pension deducted from his pay before deductions for tax and ni. This would make a huge diifferemce to the amount that would then go into his pension scheme but I can't see anythinh online about it.
Anyone know anything about it?

Bettymum Thu 03-Sep-09 15:45:09

Our company does this, it's called SMART pensions. It saves me and the company money (because they don't pay employer's NI).
Here's a link I found that explains a bit about it on the HMRC website. I don't think it makes any difference to the tax your DH will pay, but it will reduce his National Insurance contributions.

StripeySuit Thu 03-Sep-09 15:50:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

flier Thu 03-Sep-09 22:21:53

ah, thank you very much, Bettymum and StripeySuit smile

ChasingSquirrels Thu 03-Sep-09 22:27:25

the only thing to watch out for is that if it is salary sacrifice - by efectively sacrificing some of his salary he is reducing his basic salary (so new salary becaomes 90% of what it was and company makes a pension contribution of 10%).
The employer may then use the new 90% salary as the basis for pay rises and bonuses. Which means he could lose out over time.

StripeySuit Thu 03-Sep-09 23:16:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

flier Fri 04-Sep-09 08:03:59

thanks squirrels and stripey. Squirrels - that is something we will get in writing now that you have highlighted it, thanks.

ChasingSquirrels Fri 04-Sep-09 14:05:36

Yes, some will use true gross, but others (mine own included) won't. So just something to bear in mind.
The NI savings are quite substantial though, and also for the employer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now