Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Help me fellow mumsnetters

(15 Posts)
peckarollover Wed 01-Jun-05 10:22:11

As you might have read my car was set alight on weds night along with lots of belongings

My insurance co need receipts for things to be replaced but i dont have any

does anyone have a receipt they could let me have a copy of for

Maclaren Techno XT Pushchair
Britax Carseat
Britax High back booster seat
Girls next coat
Boys next coat

It doesnt have to be exactly the same thing I wouldnt think

Im not sure if this is actually naughty but it isnt a fraudulent claim - its stuff I had and cant afford to replace if the insurance company wont pay up

TrophyWife Wed 01-Jun-05 10:24:06

i havent got any of them, but shall ask around my mates.

compo Wed 01-Jun-05 10:25:03

won't the receipts have different places on them. They are sure to suss it out.

moschops Wed 01-Jun-05 10:53:53

did you pay for any of these things by credit card or debit card.........

you may be able to prove your purchases off your bank statements......

catgirl Wed 01-Jun-05 10:57:02

how awful for you. If you don't have any luck with receipts, would the insurance co accept photos of the items, you know,just snaps of your children in the car/pushchair/coat?? When I was burgled last year the insurance co said they would accept photos of jewellry. Just a thought, hope you get it sorted out.

LIZS Wed 01-Jun-05 10:57:51

Do they need receipts to assess the value or as proof that you actually possessed them. iirc when we had to claim for some ski stuff we lost in US we could supply photos, credit card statements etc but it was 10 years ago and a smaller amount we were claiming.

tribpot Wed 01-Jun-05 11:04:44

How utterly awful. A couple of years ago I lost nearly everything in a burglary/arson so you have my complete sympathy.

Do the insurance company need receipts for the originals, or for the replacement items, i.e. are they are expecting you to buy them and then claim back based on the cost of replacements? Certainly I didn't have to provide receipts, but then again I could quite easily claim all the original receipts had been burnt up along with everything else!

I would strongly advise you not to use other people's receipts, you would be better pursuing the insurance company to get them to agree that you don't have the receipts for the original items. There's no real reason why you should, after all.

starlover Wed 01-Jun-05 11:07:07

it's ridiculous expecting you to have receipts for everything that needs replacing.

talk to your insurance company and explain that yuo don't have them

if they figure out that you have used other peoples then they will probably end up giving you nothing at all.

peckarollover Wed 01-Jun-05 11:13:38

hmmmm i thought of that but how would they know i didnt get things all over the country?

Your right, its best to be honest but they have sent today saying in order for them to settle a claim they need proof of purchase that I purchased what I am claiming is in there

SenoraPostrophe Wed 01-Jun-05 11:20:36

for the car seats, do you have any photos of the car seats in the car? that worked for us for a home ins claim when we didn't have receipts.

It's a bit mean really expecting you to have receipts for things like car seats that you probably bought a while ago.

peckarollover Wed 01-Jun-05 11:41:18

Just spoken to insurance company on another matter

After the fire the police and the firemen traipsed alot of black horrible stuff into the house - left from the fire as a result my carpet is pretty ruined

I just asked about claiming for them to be claimed and they said no! Said it was consequential damage - I said can i not claim it as accidental damage she said no because it wasnt accidental? WTF was it then?

gingernut Wed 01-Jun-05 11:43:30

How mean. Which insurance co. is this if you don't mind me asking. They are being illogical too IMO. The receipts would only indicate that you owned those items, not that they were in the car.

Some good suggestions re photos etc. here. Hope you can get it sorted.

peckarollover Wed 01-Jun-05 11:45:14

Coventry Building Society HomeCover

peckarollover Fri 03-Jun-05 14:12:00

Ok, I have found credit card statements for nearly everything apart from the pushchair.

DPS nan bought it for us, she no longer has the receipt and paid cash.

Does anyone have an instruction booklet or anything?

LIZS Fri 03-Jun-05 16:57:39

Where did she buy it, can they provide any sort of receipt? Do you have any photos of your child in it ?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: