Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

disclaiming your inheritance

(15 Posts)
milkybarkid Tue 01-Sep-09 18:05:47

how is it done? will the executors know i have done so?

alarkaspree Tue 01-Sep-09 18:10:20

What do you mean by disclaiming? Have you been left some money that you don't want to accept? If so then the money would remain with the estate so yes, the executors would know. Unless they were rather disorganised.

LilRedWG Tue 01-Sep-09 18:11:47

Don't know the circumstances, but if you don't want the inheritance BUT don't want to rock the boat then why not just accept it and give it straight to charity.

milkybarkid Tue 01-Sep-09 18:12:01

yes thats what i mean

milkybarkid Tue 01-Sep-09 18:16:07

also cos i changed my name and left the country to get away from family, the solicitor is keeping my care of address conidential but i didnt even trust her with my name and real address, cant even claim the money as my bank have said that my family or the solicitor will find out the name on the account i pay it in to, ie my new name so could then look for me

LilRedWG Tue 01-Sep-09 18:18:13

Really not sure where you stand with this, sorry. There must be some way around this though. I'm sure someone more in the know will be along soon.

Northernlurker Tue 01-Sep-09 18:19:48

So you would want the money then if you could get it without revealing yourself? What a tricky situation - I feel there must be some recognised way for you to get you inheritance without endagering yourself - you can't be the only person to face this. Is there a third party you trust? Wonder if you could authorise the payment to be made to them and they could then pass it on?

milkybarkid Tue 01-Sep-09 18:24:06

i wondered about this although then the executors would presumably know that persons name? i'm not sre if that would be a problem?

I don't suppose I am allowed to open another bank account in my old name am I?

madameDefarge Tue 01-Sep-09 18:26:22

No, if the money goes into your solicitors account, they will not find out,and then your solicitor transfers it to you, you are fine. If you do not trust your current solicitor (but they are bound by very strict rules) get another.

milkybarkid Tue 01-Sep-09 18:30:18

sorry i dont actually ahve a solicitor myself, it is the deceased solicitors i am talking about.

so even though you are allowed to call yourself any name yo want to, as stated on deed poll websites and the regsiter ofice genreral website i think, you are not allowed to open bank accounts in old names, no?

gomez Tue 01-Sep-09 18:34:22

You don't need to be involved in the transaction, get yourself a solictor who can receive the funds into their client account and then pass onto you (minus their fee of course). They can't reveal your details and presuming you are not undertaking a fraud they should be able to use your 'old' name in corresponding with the executor. That would not prevent then paying into an account in your new name - as long as you could satisfy them you are who you say you are and entitled to the inheritance.

milkybarkid Tue 01-Sep-09 18:41:12

i was already told by my bank that i could pay the cheque into my account even though its ina different name, the only problem is when the cheque clears the executors end, they will know the account nam and therefore my name, so just thought, i i am allowed to pay a cheque inmy old name, into an account thats in my new name can i also cash the cheque at a cash chequeing place, (my passport is still in my old name as i have no plans to go abroad)

madameDefarge Tue 01-Sep-09 18:48:32

I guess you just have to decide if the amount is worth the hassle of getting a solicitor to act for you on this one action.

milkybarkid Tue 01-Sep-09 18:51:46

the person who died said there wouldnt be much but i dont yet know the amount

WriggleJiggle Tue 01-Sep-09 19:20:01

Sounds like the easiest option is to get yourself a solicitor. They pay the solicitor, solicitor pays you. For such a straightforward transaction I don't suppose they would charge much.

I am allowed to pay cheques into my account that have been made out in my maiden name, as the bank has records of both my maiden and real name. However, I'm not sure what name shows up on the other persons statement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now