Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Wool ordered on the internet

(9 Posts)
DutchOma Sun 30-Aug-09 16:33:06

I ordered three balls of wool which was discontinued on the 17th September, from an internet site (Coolwoolz). They are based in County Armagh.
Including postage and packing it came to £13.50. The money came out of my account the folllowing day.
After a week they informed me that the wool was discontinued (yeah, halloo) and they hadn't got it, would I like something else. I told them in not uncertain terms that I did not and after a couple of days that I wanted my money back or else...
Trouble is, what do I do now? I've given them till the 1st September and said that I would report them. But where?

Yurtgirl123 Sun 30-Aug-09 16:36:03

That isnt good dutchoma - Is there a telephone no for them? So you could rant tell them you want a refund pronto?

There must be something else you can do but I dont know what it is blush

bran Sun 30-Aug-09 16:43:02

Did you use a credit card? If so tell your credit card company. It's quite a small amount so they are not obliged to pay you back (as they would if you payed over £100 and didn't receive the goods), but they might contact the company if they consider it to be a possibly fraudulant debit.

DutchOma Sun 30-Aug-09 17:27:00

It was a Visa debit card

annh Mon 31-Aug-09 20:12:28

How long is it since they told you they could not supply the wool? And how long did they tell you the refund would take?

DutchOma Mon 31-Aug-09 21:34:05

They told me on Thursday that they could not supply, a good week after I had placed the order. They never mentioned a refund and it was only later that I realise they had taken the money before they could supply. That does not usually happen.

annh Tue 01-Sep-09 09:59:54

OK, so they haven't actually said they aren't giving you a refund? Even if they refunded immediately, the money would not have arrived in your account yet. Unless they have specifically told you they are not returning your money (which it doesn't sound is the case) then I would be a bit more patient. Or I would contact them again and ask how long it takes for a refund. Only if they start being difficult then would I take it further. Not sure where you could report them to if you only give them a week to make the refund.

DutchOma Tue 01-Sep-09 16:52:57

They have now sent me an email saying that they will refund. Does it really take that long to make a refund? And why did they take the money before they knew they could suplly the order?

Anyway, I shall have to be a bit more patient, won't I? Thank you very much for your help, AnnH

DutchOma Mon 05-Oct-09 19:44:16

Just to do an update on this matter.
When we came back from holiday the money had still not been refunded to my account, so I e.mailed Trading Standards, who told me I had to ring an office in Northern Ireland. They told me it wasn't them, as I lived in the East Midlands. East Midlands wanted me to ring Northern Ireland again, so I said I wasn't going from pillar to post and so they finally came up with the advice that I should write to the firm, saying that they were in breach of contract, that they should refund the money within a week and that 'time was of the essence'. Well I sent the letter off on Friday (with a receipt from the post office) and had an email from them on the Saturday, saying that they would have refunded the money before the 30th September as 'per their terms and conditions' Yeah right. It still took till Tuesday before the money was back in my account, but at least it did come back and I wil know what to do next time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now