Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

advice plz

(5 Posts)
mamagaga Fri 28-Aug-09 15:34:23

What do you do if your entiled to housing benefit (student, parent) but have to pay 6 months rent in advance for a new rented property. This is legal and landlords are within their rights to do this. where does that leave me with the Housing benefit if someone loans me the 6 months rent upfront, is it still possible to claim housing benefit for that period?

Mousey84 Sat 29-Aug-09 22:17:21

Is the 6 months in advance rent payments for the first 6 months, or a security deposit that will be returned to you should you leave the property?

kateGB Sat 29-Aug-09 22:28:00

I would have thought it was a deposit but 6 months seems very steep. Usually a tenancy agreement is a minimum of 6 months with one month up front held as deposit and returned when you leave?

I would seriously ask the question of why it's so steep, unless it is for three months upfront and three months deposit.

I wouldn't hand over 6 months to be held as a deposit...but perhaps things have changed since I rented??

6 months is an awfully lot of cash to hand over .

Mousey84 Sat 29-Aug-09 22:32:54

Generally they ask for 6 months in advance if the tenant is not working or os self employed / free lancing. Its a guarantee in case they cannot pay rent. They may ask for another 6 months rent just before first 6 month period is up.

Personally, I would look for somewhere else, but if it is standard practice in the area, then the OP may not have a choice.

kateGB Sat 29-Aug-09 22:56:49

Wow, that's seriously harsh. I suppose now that HB gets paid direct to the tenant and not the landlotd it kind of makes sense but how is anyone on HB supposed to get 6 months rent together ?

There are many things in this world that I don't understand!

Hope the OP gets it sorted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now