Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can dp get financial assistance towards his divorce? We recieve ctc and wtc.

(9 Posts)
4andnotout Wed 26-Aug-09 19:38:37

We are on the higher element of child tax credits and he recieves working tax credit so are entitled to the free prescriptions etc.


DLI Thu 27-Aug-09 18:28:49

his solicitor should have assessed him for legal aid. it goes on monthly income less certain allowances and then you have to be udner the limit allowed. Also depends on equity in any home and savings.

4andnotout Thu 27-Aug-09 18:37:48

We are not using a solicitor as it has been 5 years since they seperated, there are no children to the marriage, no savings or houses she had 100% of the contents of the marital home.

Sparks Thu 27-Aug-09 18:54:20

He might be entitled to a discount on the court fees. It's a bit complicated, depends on a number of factors, including income. More info on the Court Service web site here and here.

Sparks Thu 27-Aug-09 18:57:32

It might be worthwhile contacting the Citizen's Advice Bureau. They would be able to give him more detailed advice. In case those Court Service leaflets might be hard to understand.

DLI Thu 27-Aug-09 18:57:54

you need to be aware that when he does get divorced their financial ties are technically not finalised. he may wish to see a solicitor to look into entering into a Consent Order re finances.

4andnotout Thu 27-Aug-09 19:02:05

There are no finances to sort they had seperate accounts, we have paid all debts, they both left the rented council accomodation.

I'll get him to ring the CAB and see what they say

DLI Thu 27-Aug-09 19:06:11

they would probably need to enter into what is a clean break consent order which basically just dismisses each other's rights against each other including after death

mumoverseas Fri 28-Aug-09 18:26:30

agree with DLI, definitely need to ensure a clean break with a Consent Order so stop either of them making a claim in the future.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now