Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

What benefits would we get if DP moves in??

(13 Posts)
PersonalClown Tue 25-Aug-09 16:05:19

Dp and I were planning to move in together in the near future but circumstances have changed which means it may have to be sooner than we agreed.

Unfortunately this means that DP will have to leave his job as it just isn't feasible to travel 2 hours each way every day.
I am currently on IS along with Carer's and Ds's DLA plus CTC.

Dp is rather traditional and wants a job so he can provide for us. He'd rather I didn't work as I have the task of being the main carer for DS(ASD) and I do all the household stuff.

The main worry is of course money. How would we cope and what would we be entitled to until he gets a job?
I've googled and there is nothing that says clear cut what we would get.

HELP!!!

em83 Tue 25-Aug-09 16:08:14

should be joint income support, however if he has just left his job as opposed to being made redundant im not sure......ur carers and dla will not be affected,

PersonalClown Tue 25-Aug-09 16:11:45

That's what I thought.
CAB are not open on the phone till tomorrow, and I can't find anything on the DWP or jobcentre sites.

Aaaarrrggghhh why do things have to be awkward??

GypsyMoth Tue 25-Aug-09 16:14:39

if he leaves his job voluntarily then he wont be getting jobseekers for a good while. thats all i know....

llareggub Tue 25-Aug-09 16:20:54

Could you move to him so he doesn't need to give up his job? They are difficult to get at the moment. Or get the job first, then live together?

PersonalClown Tue 25-Aug-09 16:26:44

That's what we were planning to do llareggub but the house he is living in is due to be demolished and the landlord has decided to push that forward so he will be effectivly homeless.
He lives at least 2 hours drive from me and when we started discussing the moving in, we thought we would have a while to find another job.
Also we agreed that it was best he moves to me as DS has autism, is at a great school and has his needs in place here.
Does anyone know if being on an agency's books affects benefit income??

PersonalClown Tue 25-Aug-09 16:27:43

oops sorry being rude.. Thanks for the help so far.

easymover Tue 25-Aug-09 18:19:40

I think how it works is you would come off IS.Then your DP would claim JSA for himself and you has an dependant.This is around 100 pound per week.Your carers allowance and DLA would stay the same and i think your CTC would too.
Your DP JSA claim would be sent to a decision maker because he left a job.He would have to explain why he left the job,then the decision maker decides if it was a good reason or not.If its decided he gave up a job without a good reason he will lose some of his benefit for about 12 weeks but not all of it.While you wait for the decision to be made i think you get the full benefit.I don't think this affects your housing/council tax benefits.HTH
Hope it all works out for you and your DP finds another job soon.

shigella Thu 27-Aug-09 20:43:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

easymover Thu 27-Aug-09 21:24:00

shigella you are right PersonalClown could put a claim in for JSA.Then her Dp could be the dependant half,but PersonalClown is claiming carer's allowance so has to be caring for i think 35 hours aweek.Therefor may not be avilable for work unless her DP takes over the caring.
HTH

fatjac Fri 28-Aug-09 10:52:39

Not sure about the benefits but with the job market being like it is at the moment I think he would be mad to leave his job before finding another one. Apparently it is much easier to find a job whilst you are still in employement, although he would have to get time off for interviews.

My DH commutes over 2 hours each way everyday and has done for the last 7 years. He leaves the house before 6am and gets home between 6.30-7pm. Its not ideal but better than being unemployed.

PersonalClown Fri 28-Aug-09 16:21:25

Thank you all for your wonderful help.
After a chat with DP which will continue with the finer points this weekend, we have decided to go with the majority here.

He has never signed on in his life and doesn't wish to and as he wants to be the main earner, I am agreeing with his wishes.
The commute will be a bastard but as you all have said, he'd rather keep the job he has now and keep the money flowing in while looking for something closer to home.
He wishes for me to be at home as DS' main carer as I have done all the hard work and he says I deserve the respite!!
(This has nothing to do with the fact that I am slightly OCD about the ways chores have to be done either!!wink)

Now all that remains to be seen is if and when the Tax credit lot manage to bugger things up!

MrsMagnolia Fri 28-Aug-09 16:46:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now