Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax advice on Large Cash Gift ?

(4 Posts)
RubyBlueberry Mon 24-Aug-09 15:41:21

My fabulous Gran has sold her house and given my sister and I £40k each towards buying our first houses. I am over the moon with this, as perviously we could only afford a 1bed flat and now we are buying a house with garden for DC's. yay!

Am just wondering when I go to do my tax return this year, what do I declare it as?
Do I declare it as being gifted to both of us or just me? Will it affect my child benefit and tax credits?

And does she declare it as a gift?

StripeySuit Mon 24-Aug-09 16:44:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rebeccaj Mon 24-Aug-09 17:35:56

She can give you each £3k without attracting tax.

Anything above that (except in a few special circs, like wedding presents) is taxable IF she dies in the next seven years. If she lives for another 7 years, then there is no tax to pay.

I believe the advice is to make a record of it - both she and you - but if she survives for 7 years there is no tax to pay. It won't affect your child benefit, that is non-means-tested.

JSA - well, it would take you over the allowed savings, but I don't know what you do if it comes in, then you spend it, IYSWIM. It's not savings then! I would take advice on that.

StripeySuit Mon 24-Aug-09 19:07:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: