Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Is it normal, or even legal to only get 8 hours holiday pay for 12 hour shifts?

(5 Posts)
LadyOfWaffle Wed 19-Aug-09 19:01:41

DH has alot of holidays left to take and every time he takes them we are left short because he only get's paid 8 hours whereas he works 12 hour shifts. The 12 hours isn't overtime , it's contracted hours.

KathH Thu 20-Aug-09 18:27:23

I dont know if its legal but dh has the same thing where he is contracted to work 12 hours per shift but when he takes it as holiday he only gets paid 10 hrs.

xesmuB Thu 20-Aug-09 18:52:14

When I worked 12 hours shifts it was normal because you normally work less days. Eg shift m t day off w t work f s s night. If I took the following week off I would only need to take off my rostered days of w t to get a week off.

whingingDailyHateMail Thu 20-Aug-09 21:22:40

My DH does odd shift lengths, he gets what he should - but would only take 4 days off work for a full weeks holiday, ie 37.5 hrs. For the odd shift as holiday he takes the relevant number of hours of holiday.

Both your situations sound very iffy to me, maybe post in employment issues, in case flowerybeanbag is around?

LadyOfWaffle Tue 25-Aug-09 10:26:33

It's a big company which suprised me that the holiday is like this. THe only thing I can think of he is contracted X hours per week or month, and it is worked out from that. But he still either gets less money or loses the holiday! Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now