Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

I need help with my rent

(5 Posts)
EvaToniAnn Tue 18-Aug-09 11:20:43

I posted a couple of weeks ago on the relationships forum about wanting to split up from my husband.

Well we finally had a talk and decided it for the best before we start to hate eachother.

I've found a wee 2 bed house for me and my son for 450 a month, I need 450 deposit and a months rent, so all together I need 900 pounds before they'll let me move in.

I have 450 of it in my bank but my brother told me that I could get a loan from someone who will make up the rest of the deposit, does anyone know if this would be the Dhss?

Thanks in advance

Eva x

MissSunny Tue 18-Aug-09 12:44:40

Message withdrawn

EvaToniAnn Tue 18-Aug-09 14:29:50

Thanks MissSunny,

Am going to go down and see someone later this afternoon, hopefully get something sorted out.

x

milkmonster Wed 19-Aug-09 00:46:28

If you don't work, some councils run schemes where they will 'pay' your deposit for you via a written guaranteed Indemnity. Though in my experience professional letting agaents and private landlords are reluctant to accept this as a deposit, because it's a contract, not hard cash.

The DSS offers interest-free loans specifically to help pay your deposit, but not your Rent Advance (or is it the other way round? I can't remember!) called Crisis or Budgeting Loans. You have to be claiming eligible benefits to receive such though.

Some council housing lists also have 'fast-track' properties available to move in to without a deposit or rent advance, but they're 'hard to let' properties, basically in unpopular areas (estates with reputations) or unpopular properties such as high-rises or sheltered housing.

EvaToniAnn Fri 21-Aug-09 20:33:55

Thanks Milkmonster & MissSunny

I went down today and they sorted me out with a check for rent in advance, I get to pay it back a bit each month

Look like I'll be in the house for end of month.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now