Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Do you have a joint account with DH/DP or keep your money separate?

(28 Posts)
numerouno Sun 16-Aug-09 11:25:57

I work part time and bring in approx 1/5th of our total income. At present my wages go directly into our joint account and dh adds a cheque from his business account into our account once a month. I take a set amount out each month and put it in my personal account to pay for stuff like my own clothes, mobile etc. It's okay but it feels a bit like an allowance and I'd like to be bit more financially independent.

How do you contribute to your household bills & mortage when you work part time and have all your own money paid into a personal account?

mrsdisorganised Sun 16-Aug-09 11:28:43

One bank account, have shared ever since we moved in together at 17 blush!

inscotland Sun 16-Aug-09 14:38:43

With the exception of my business banking we have 2 accounts. One joint current and one joint savings.

limonchik Sun 16-Aug-09 14:44:36

We have a personal account each and a joint account - our wages go into our personal accounts and then a set amount of money (proportional to how much we earn, approx a 35%/65% split) goes into the joint account by standing order. All rent, bills and food shopping is paid from joint account, what's left in our personal accounts is ours to spend.

saramoon Sun 16-Aug-09 16:12:52

Have one joint account - everything goes in there

Megglevache Sun 16-Aug-09 16:14:08

both.

fivecandles Sun 16-Aug-09 16:44:32

Do what limonchik does. It's a recent arrangment. Previously we onyl had separate accounts and dealt with different bills - dp did mortgage and I did childcare. Much happier with the arrangement now and easier to keep an eye on household (not dp's or my) expenditure.

purepurple Sun 16-Aug-09 16:48:42

we have a joint account and everything goes in and out of that account

kslatts Sun 16-Aug-09 16:49:06

We have one joint account and everything goes in, mortgage, etc goes out and whatevers left is for us to spend.

claricebeansmum Sun 16-Aug-09 16:53:01

We have a joint account. DH puts in and I take out grin

lal123 Sun 16-Aug-09 17:01:40

we have 2 joint accounts - current and savings. We both put about the same into the current account each month. Its worked for us for about the past 12 years

Itsjustafleshwound Sun 16-Aug-09 17:02:06

As limonchik has - we both have separate accounts and pay a set amount into the joint account which is used for all household expenses and bills...

kathyis6incheshigh Sun 16-Aug-09 17:13:50

Same as Limonchik and Fleshwound - both joint and personal.

cheesesarnie Sun 16-Aug-09 17:16:53

seperate accounts.

theDMplagiarisedLeonie Sun 16-Aug-09 17:27:29

Message withdrawn

Medee Sun 16-Aug-09 17:34:13

Ditto Limonchik's method. We are on a tracker mortgage, and since the rate has come down, we put the difference into an offset savings account too.

Medee Sun 16-Aug-09 17:35:13

... we'll change the split if/when I am on mat leave, but the principle should remain the same.

Wonderstuff Sun 16-Aug-09 17:41:45

Joint current account and joint savings account. Generally the money we try to save in the savings account ends up back in the current account to bail us out when there is too much month left at the end of the money sad

One day - when dc's start school and I work ft, or when we win the lottery, we will have separate 'spending accounts' for luxuries like clothes and music [whistful]

VinoEsmeralda Sun 16-Aug-09 17:44:49

Always had joint account but since I gave up working DH noticed I didnt spent enough/no money on myself so he opened a 'lady' account for me grin so I could go and shop and dont feel guilty!

WorzselMummage Sun 16-Aug-09 17:46:44

We have seperate accounts. I pay for food a df pays bills and mortgage. We've had to do it like this as my credit rating is bad. I have free reign to use his cards for things we need. It works well for us.

MaybeAfterBreakfast Sun 16-Aug-09 17:48:55

Joint since before we were married, and long before we had dcs.

poopscoop Sun 16-Aug-09 17:52:28

every account we own is joint.

cocolepew Sun 16-Aug-09 17:57:03

Joint, never have any money left for separate allowances

chocolateshoes Sun 16-Aug-09 18:18:58

same as limchick plus joint VISA account

snigger Sun 16-Aug-09 18:21:59

We've had a joint account since we were engaged.

It irks occasionally when he charges gifts to me from the joint account and I can see just how much he spent, but in the long run, we share everything else, it seems pointless to get divisive over money.

Having said that, we do each have savings purely in our own names - we call it the Escape Fund grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now