Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Could Really Do With Some Help...Please

(21 Posts)
Doobydoo Thu 13-Aug-09 21:55:47

This is quite long and complicated.
Dp,myself and ds1 and ds2 RETURNED to the UK having lived in R.O.I for 5 years.
Dp was made redundant and I am starting a return to nursing course in Oct.
We moved over on 27th March and received Irish benefit[£308]per week until 3rd June.From 3rd of June we received UK benefit...Jobseekers allowance of £100.95 a week for the 4 of us .
We were told to apply for tax credits even though we had Irish benefit and until that claim is sorted we cannot claim for UK benefit from 3rd Junehmm
We are now receiving £88.83 a week for the 4 of us[we had to take out crisis loan] as we are not in receipt of Child Benefit either!They have until mid October to sort it.
We are receiving some housing benefit but are paying back a £5 aweek as we were over paid when we first came over.Like wise with council tax we are paying £29 amonth.
We have never been in this situation before and thought we would be able to just manage until I received my nursing pin and a job.
We are a wits end!
Any advice greatly received.

cazboldy Thu 13-Aug-09 22:01:22

Oh Dooby sad

If I win the lotto i will sort you out xx

is there anything practical i can help with? like clothes/shoes for M that charlie has outgrown?

Sorry i can't offer more - we just dont have any extra

Guess you have been onto tax credit people and explained the siuation

If you need anything - even a chat please email me cazboldy@tiscali.co.uk

Doobydoo Thu 13-Aug-09 22:08:35

Thnkyou so much Caz...it is a dire situation and there is no way we would have done this if we had knownsadWe have emailed and spoken to tax credit people at least 3 times aweek...just can't understand itsad
Utter nightmare.
We went to the council yesterday re hhhhhhousing,and are waiting for them to get back to us.We have never been in such a state.
By the way...the dress is fabsmile

cazboldy Thu 13-Aug-09 22:12:15

thank you Dooby smile I had to get my Mum to buy it early for my birthday as I am skint too!

Is there no temping agency work you can do in the mean time (like MJ) or do you need to do this course first?

do you know how much Tax credits you are likely o get and whether it will be back paid?

Doobydoo Thu 13-Aug-09 22:21:03

I wasenvyat the petite sizegrinI am like Jolly green giantsmile
It is soooo complicated.If I earn money I think it will affect the little we do get and the tax credits if they come through....quite scared really...I would do healthcare assistant work till I got Pin Back.
We should get from 3rd June approx£100 aweek.We are not expecting any linked to Irish benefit as it was quite abit more.But until they have made a decision on that we can't do from 3rd June[even though they are aware of our plight]
In total with child benefit we would have had approx £230 aweek which is why we thought we could just about manage.
The 3rd of June claim should be back dated [up to 96 days]
I have howled on and off but now I just feel numb.
I am sorry you are skint too...it is damn hard isn't it?
Enjoy your dresssmile

EccentricaGallumbits Thu 13-Aug-09 22:24:56

long shot but have you thought about approaching the RCN or other nursey people to see if their crisis funds could cover youfor a while?
I'm fairly sure there are charities out there who do help out specific groups like nurses.
will pop off and look.

Doobydoo Thu 13-Aug-09 22:26:36

Thankyou for that.
I wonder if it applies to me?
I am starting a return to nursing course in October which ends in April.

EccentricaGallumbits Thu 13-Aug-09 22:26:46

any use?

Doobydoo Thu 13-Aug-09 22:29:10

Not sure.Will trawl through.I am not in RCN at the moment.The course provider has stated that we should join but obviously I can't at the moment.
I appreciate that link...thankyou.smile

EccentricaGallumbits Thu 13-Aug-09 22:29:48

must be others. will look

EccentricaGallumbits Thu 13-Aug-09 22:32:07

which college/uni are you doing your return to practice with? do they have a financial hardship fund?

cazboldy Thu 13-Aug-09 22:32:41

I ahve 2 weddings coming up so will try to!

really hope you get some money soon! like I said am here if you need a chat xx

Back tomorrow x

Doobydoo Thu 13-Aug-09 22:33:13

It is Nottingham University.I will check re the fund.

Doobydoo Thu 13-Aug-09 22:38:43

THANKYOU Caz and eccentrica.I too will turn it and be back tomorrow.Thankyou both again.

cazboldy Fri 14-Aug-09 11:26:47

Hiya Dooby. just wondering if it would be worth you going to your local citizens advice bureau, incase they can help/ you are entitled to something you dont know about?

Doobydoo Fri 14-Aug-09 22:12:55

Thanks Caz...tried ringing them twice today but unavailable!
Will try next week.
Had to wait in in case Housing called,which they didn't.

cazboldy Sat 15-Aug-09 17:30:10

hows things today Dooby? xx

Doobydoo Sat 15-Aug-09 21:21:27

Hi Caz.We are ok.Thankyou so much for asking.Hoping that Tax credits get back to us before wednesday[that is their deadline for an escalated claim]I am appling for job in a care home.Would mean we have £10 less a week as we won't get child tax credits until they have sorted our other claim out but would mean dp is able to put up ads for computer repairs and help without us worrying that we will be diddling the dole and some one might report us.My Grandad has left me some money in his will and we will have £800 when my bank account is open which will be in approx 3 weeks as I had to aplly for photo provlicence as that is what they need to activate account!The rest will go to my parents who have helped us out and to pay for return to nursing course which is £1200.So £8oo will help us.It is ds1@s 10th birthday on 29th August and we have always been ok but this year is going to be tricky!
Thanks for asking and don't worrysmile

cazboldy Tue 18-Aug-09 09:43:45

Hey Dooby - any good news?

Doobydoo Wed 19-Aug-09 14:18:10

Hi Caz.
I have contacted my local MP...Emailed him at the house of commons and his PA answered in 30 mins,she is shocked.And going to try and help.Fingers crossed!
Thanks for asking.
Hope all is well with you?

Doobydoo Wed 19-Aug-09 14:21:20

So sorry to read your news Cazsad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now