Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

partner walking out and false claiming for child benifit?

(4 Posts)
missdino Thu 13-Aug-09 21:50:25

hi my partner of 18 years walked out on me and my 3 kids to live with another woman and all 3 kids are resident with me but once a week they stay at there dads for the night and iv heard that hes claiming child benefit for one of my children to get some money and im sure this is not legal? is this right?

LynetteScavo Thu 13-Aug-09 21:53:37

Presumably you are still recieving CB for all three DCs, so I would imagine it would be virtually impossible for him to claim to.

abouteve Thu 13-Aug-09 21:55:44

Child Benefit goes to the main carer and I expect you would have been receiving it yourself for each child. Not sure how this could have happened either.

UndertheBoredwalk Thu 13-Aug-09 22:07:26

He could have put a claim in but there's no way he's receiving any money if you already are.
(Used to work for HMRC)
If a multiple claim comes in for a child, then nothing is changed - i.e if you're already getting the money you carry on getting the money.
The only way he'd be able to push forward with the claim is to have something from you saying that the money is to be paid to him. Or if that wasn't forthcoming to call and tell them that you're claiming it when you shouldn't be which would instigate an investigation, which in your case would show he's talking bollocks so again nothing would change

hth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now