Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Losing a case in Crown Court - what kind of costs are we talking?

(6 Posts)
marthamoo Thu 26-May-05 14:03:55

Sorry, this may be a "how long is a pice of string?" question.

Briefly, our local Post Office/small shop closed down and was sold. The man who bought it owns a chain of Off Licences - he bought the premises for his 19 year old nephew to run as part of the chain. There was a great deal of opposition to this (on the grounds of extra traffic, parking, litter, anti-social behaviour, extended opening hours - he was going to open 'til 11pm every night: this is a residential area, local primary school is round the corner - already have 4 off licences in walking distance.)

Anyway, there was a hearing at the Magistrates Court and the licence was refused.

Since heard that he is taking his appeal to Crown Court - so the Residents' Committee is gearing up to oppose again. Apparently, however, if we lose this time, we are liable for court costs. How much are we talking here? Hundreds? Thousands? And is it shared equally between everyone who has opposed the licence - so, eg., dh and I would have to pay a share?

Anyone have any expertise in this?

marthamoo Thu 26-May-05 14:04:22

Sorry, that's 'piece' - said I couldn't type!

cod Thu 26-May-05 14:05:10

Message withdrawn

cod Thu 26-May-05 14:06:54

Message withdrawn

marthamoo Thu 26-May-05 14:08:05

I've no idea cod - I've signed the petitions and written letters, and dh went to all the meetings and the hearing, but I'm not involved in the actual machinations.

cod Thu 26-May-05 16:18:23

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now