Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

SMP question

(4 Posts)
ssd Thu 26-May-05 09:17:23

My friend is due in Jan 06, she works in retail and has been with the same employer full time for 7 years. She's been told she'll have to pay back her SMP if she doesn't return to work after the baby. I think that's wrong. Does anyone know? She wouldn't get any special leave/extra pay as retail ain't like that it's the governments SMP and no more.

hunkermunker Thu 26-May-05 09:24:31

AFAIK, she will only have to pay back anything over and above SMP that her employer pays her (if anything). You don't pay back statutory maternity payments.

ZolaPola Thu 26-May-05 09:26:39

definitely won't have to pay back SMP. she'll also be entitled to further 6 mths unpaid mat leave if she wants.
check out www.tiger.gov.uk for further info.

Prettybird Thu 26-May-05 13:41:15

The only thing with unpaid materneity leave (or maternity absence, as I think it is called) is that the employer only has to commit to giving yoy back an equivalent job - unlike ordinary (paid) maternity leave, where you are supposed to get your old job back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now