Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Question about housing benefit

(7 Posts)
MavisGrind Mon 10-Aug-09 21:40:21

I have recently separated and am looking at rental property. H says he will pay rent for me until I'm back in work (this could take a year or two as I have a 3 yr old a 4 month old and I'm planning on retraining).

In order to protect myself I'm working out what to do if this rent money is not forthcoming - many landlords don't want DSS but do they actually have to know you're claiming housing benefit? Am I right in thinking it can be paid directly into my bank account and I can pay the landlord from there? Is there some point in the application process that alerts the landlord to the payment of benefits? I don't want the upheaval of moving the dcs just to have to move again if ex-H decides not to pay up.

TIA

HappyMummyOfOne Mon 10-Aug-09 22:00:46

Many landlords insurance policies and mortgages exclude DSS tennants so if you do need to claim HB they need to know otherwise you are risking their asset.

They may ask that your ex is on the tennancy agreement if he is paying the rent.

The financial checks that many agents do give them an indication re employment/wages etc so they will pick up you are not working.

NanaNina Wed 12-Aug-09 10:51:46

Mavisgrind - what was the situation when you and your H were together - did you own your ownhome? Where is H living now - I ask because if you had your own home you are of course entitled to half of it.

Where are you living now?

You certainly have to be honest with landlords about claiming HB. I know some don't take DSS tenants but this is changing as many landlords are anxious to let property and if they can see you are a responsible tenant HB is not really a problem. It is more the stigma attached to "undesirable" types who may be on HB that concerns landlords. Nasty I know but that is the way it is.

You can only claim HB in certain circumstances and it will depend on your financial situation.

CAB can give good advice about money matters in your situation.

Hope all goes well for you

MavisGrind Wed 12-Aug-09 22:40:26

NanaNina - we still jointly own our home. I'm currently living in it however the plan (for many reasons) is for me and dcs to move out. It's an amicable split (so far at least) and so we're clear that once the house is sold we will split the equity 50/50. As it's just not a good time to sell we have decided that one of us will stay in the house for the forseeable.

My income comprises of child maintenance and CTC/CB so I'm hopeful of being able to claim. The less I have to rely on handouts from H the better!

easymover Thu 13-Aug-09 10:46:22

While you are living in the house you jointly own with H,i don't think you will be able to claim housing benefits.I think it will be down to your H to pay the morgage.
If you sell and rent any money you make from the sale will be took into account when working out any housing benefits.
You are right about having any housing benefits paid to you not the landlord.
Good luck hope it all works out for you and dc

expatinscotland Thu 13-Aug-09 10:53:58

You're likely going to have some serious problems claiming HB whilst you are a homeowner at all and then once you sell the place whatever income you have from it will be taken into account when calculating HB.

It's designed for renters who truly have no other choice. There's no house to sell, no real assets, not enough income, etc.

You really need to speak to your council about this situation, as different councils set different rules.

Or try here.

The thing is, when you go to let a property, you'll need to prove you have the income to pay the rent or pay the rent upfront.

So if you need DSS, it'll be obvious from the application.

If you go on DSS once you're in, it's possible you're invalidating your tenancy agreement, it depends on the agreement.

MavisGrind Thu 13-Aug-09 20:02:55

Thanks all and thanks for the link expat. It would seem that I'm unlikely to be able to claim so I'm just going to have to hope that ex-H is as good as his word or push the house sale through earlier than I'd like.

The sooner I get re-trained, back on my feet and financially independent the better. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now