Advanced search

Going back to maiden name... How do I do it legally?

(19 Posts)
wendy33 Wed 25-May-05 21:07:38

I recently got divorced and want to go back to my maiden name but not sure how. I need to know what documents I need to change my details at the bank. I have been told different things and wondered if anyone on here knows.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

assumedname Wed 25-May-05 21:10:23

It used to be like this, didn't it -

start off as Miss Smith, marry Mr Jones, become Mrs Jones, get divorced and become Mrs Smith.

Don't know if the position's changed and whether, now, you have to do anything legally.

emily05 Wed 25-May-05 21:14:57

This is what the Citizens advice says on their website:
Anyone over the age of 16 can change their name at any time. You can change either your forename, your surname or both. You can add new names or drop a name you do not want. You can use your new name for all purposes including getting married or applying for a passport. You can not change your name for purposes of fraud.

You do not have to fill in any forms or get permission. You just start using your changed name instead of your old one. However, you may find that some organisations want to see written evidence of your name change. This could be a letter from a doctor, priest or solicitor, or an announcement in the press. You may prefer to make a statutory declaration or change your name by deed poll.

Evesmama Wed 25-May-05 21:15:07

go to solicitors, explain situation, prob have to show decree nisi? and change it by deed poll(free if not working-i think) and about £50 if not.hth

Evesmama Wed 25-May-05 21:16:06

you can 'change' your name to anything, but your official documents must be correct(passport/d.licence etc) so would advise deedpoll.

Libb Wed 25-May-05 21:16:46

Just do it by deed poll - I did it online before my divorce was even finalised. It cost about £40 and my official paperwork came through withing 2-3 days.

I am now Miss maiden name and it feels great!

morningpaper Wed 25-May-05 21:16:51

Emily05 is right - when I got divorced I just filled out forms for changing everything and it was done (bank, passport, driving licence - they all had forms for this, it happens all the time).

Hulababy Wed 25-May-05 21:17:29

DH (solicitor) says that he believes you need a change of name deed.

milge Wed 25-May-05 21:17:31

IIRC, you should for convenience sake get a statutory declaration drawn up at your solicitors, or a formal deed poll. its not legally required, but many banks won't change without "evidence", eg decree nisi or stat dec, or deed poll.

morningpaper Wed 25-May-05 21:17:54

There are forms for changing your name on your passport - get it from the Post Office. I think that the form for changing your driving licence is on the back of the licence itself. Easy peasy and FREE!

Libb Wed 25-May-05 21:19:01

The online deed poll link is really easy to follow too, I was pregnant and had baby brain but still managed it . . . good luck!

rickman Wed 25-May-05 21:19:39

Message withdrawn

Evesmama Wed 25-May-05 21:20:42

i changed my surname when i turned 18 and because i dont have the 'original' deed, only photocopies i have extreme difficulty when renewing d. licence/passport.
if your asked by someone if youve had any previous names, its usually the original deed poll form they need.

wendy33 Wed 25-May-05 21:27:56

Thanks for all your help!
I will go for the online deed poll I think to be sure.

My solicitor said I should only need to show my decree nisi.

My bank said when I phoned up to go in tell them. I went in and told them and they said they needed to see my decree nisi. I went home and got it. Went to the bank and they wouldnt accept it. Said I need a deed poll!

Evesmama Wed 25-May-05 21:32:32


slartibardfast Wed 25-May-05 22:04:22

Emily05 is spot on.

Agree with Evesmama about banks - they are all in a tizzy about the money laundering regulations so rush about harassing people who don't have any money to launder.

Evesmama Thu 26-May-05 20:50:39

i havent been able to get the name slartibardfast out of my head all day???????

Tommy Thu 26-May-05 21:06:20

Think about what you did when you changed your name when you got married - and just do it all again in reverse. Your birth certificate still has your maiden name on it so you can still sue that and include your decree as well as evidence that you want to change it back. Your name isn't actually legally changed when you get married (i.e. on your birth certificate) so it shouldn't have to be legally changed back.
Hope that make sense

strugstu Thu 26-May-05 21:21:58

Tommy is spot on, all i had to do was show decree nisi (showing maiden and then married name)and birth certificate(which showed maiden name) that was enough proof for passport, driving licence, professional qualifications, etc. the most trouble i had was telling british gas (who were complete pain in the arse- and wanted to see birth certificate and marriage cert, and decree nisi- told them not to bother, i didnt need to send all that to the bank i'm certainly not sending it to a utilities company) there happy to collect money from my bank account which is in my maiden name tho!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: