Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

which mortgage deal?

(12 Posts)
moshie Mon 10-Aug-09 13:11:53

My discounted mortgage is coming to an end so I need to switch. Staying with current provider for various reasons, so the choice is between:
1% below the SVR (currently 4.99%) with afee of £399
or
3 year fix at 4.99%

Apparently the SVR is going up tomorrow so I need to decide today. Any thoughts?

moshie Mon 10-Aug-09 13:12:32

Oh, no fee with second option.

justaphase Mon 10-Aug-09 13:22:40

I am reading this to mean that the SVR is now 5.99%, so you are paying 4.99% now on the discounted deal plus a £399 fee.

Let's face it, rates are not going down any further so even if they stayed the same you are only going to loose the £399 fee.

Rates only need to go up by 0.50% for you to actually be better of with the fixed deal assuming a £100K morrtgage. And I would say this is very likely to happen at some point in the next 2 years. So I would say go with the fixed deal.

moshie Mon 10-Aug-09 13:49:59

Sorry, I wasn't very clear there. The SVR is currently 4.99, but expected to go up tomorrow, what to I don't know.
The first deal would be 1% below SVR, with a fee of £399
The second deal is fixed at 4.99% for three years with no fee.

I'm thinking to fix. Does it still look a good buy with those figures do you think?

justaphase Mon 10-Aug-09 13:55:38

Less clear cut in this case. Depends what you expect to happen to interest rates. Based on my expectations, I would say yes, fix is better value.

amidaiwish Mon 10-Aug-09 14:03:52

i would fix. 4.99 is good. who is that with (nosy, my tracker runs out in nov so need to start looking now...)

moshie Mon 10-Aug-09 14:09:41

Thank you, will fix.

TDiddy Mon 10-Aug-09 14:43:28

Ideally you would have considered switching to tracker with cap at 5pc or similiar but you do pay a fee for these it depends on the mortgage amount.

Of the two options above, I agree that the fix makes more sense, though.

moshie Mon 10-Aug-09 16:02:59

That's with the Principality, but there were lots of good deals on the money supermarket website.

TDiddy Mon 10-Aug-09 16:09:00

a tracker with a cap is ideal, i think

justaphase Mon 10-Aug-09 16:16:38

A tracker with a cap would be ideal on principle but the problem with the funky bells and whistles deals is that you have to pay a fortune in fees to get them.

Banks are not stupid - they will make sure a deal makes them money - otherwise it will not be on the market.

So I think the best strategy for mortgage deals and financial products is - keep it simple.

TDiddy Mon 10-Aug-09 18:57:57

I did a tracker with a cap with Coventry BS on a property recently and I calculated that it was worthwhile. ALso think that HSBC or First direct is doing one. I think you need to borrowing a maximum of either 60pc or 75pc of the property value though. The materiality of the fee depends on the size of the loan I guess.

Keeping it simple is generally a sound principle, though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now