Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Help! Just had bailiff letter for someone who doesn't live here

(7 Posts)
IHeartKittensAndWine Sat 08-Aug-09 10:52:50

Just had a bailiff letter announcing a warrant of execution for a debt of someone we've never heard of. It's not us, and it isn't our landlord. Tried to call the number but can't get through so sent an email to the address on website explaining that this person is not resident here. What do we do? Will scary blokes come round and try to force their way in? What if we aren't in? And what happens if somehow they get in and take our stuff?

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Sat 08-Aug-09 10:59:03

I have had this. Keep trying to phone them (maybe there's no one in the office at the weekend) and say what you've just said here. They should take it off their records.

Saying that, I keep getting letters for the same debt but from different collection agencies. Eachtime I phone them up and they say they'll put a note on the record. However, as yet there haven't been any baliff's.

HecatesTwopenceworth Sat 08-Aug-09 11:01:50

They can't take your stuff. The debt is not yours. If they try to say otherwise, I'd call the police. If they try to get into your house, I'd call the police and tell them that you have a break-in in progress. Don't mess about with them!

Have something on hand to prove who you are but don't take any shit from them. They can be aggressive bastards but they have no right to do anything to you and make sure they know that you know that!

If they do somehow get in while you are out, I'd report to the police as a burglary and press charges! If they take your stuff I'd say you'd have a good case against them for compensation!

In your position, I'd write to them, recorded delivery, saying that this debt is NOT yours, you are NOT the person they are looking for and if they make any further contact with you, you will contact a solicitor and if they attempt to come to your home in pursuit of this debt, you will call the police.

Seriously. don't mess about being nice or anything.

BrokenFlipFlop Sat 08-Aug-09 11:09:49

Hi,

They cannot force their way in however if you open the door to them, they will 'gain entry' by placing a foot over the threshold. That means they are then 'in'.

I would keep trying to call otherwise if they do come round simply show them proof of who you are ie passport and proof of residency. Thats all you need.

Also, does the warrant give an idea of what the debt is for? If it is council tax for example, contact the council as well as in writing with proof that you live at the address.

If it is a parking related matter you need to contact the DVLA and ask for them to remove your address in respect to the vehicle/person named. Until they do this, you may keep receiving letters.

Hope this helps - it is a horrible situaiton however don't panic too much ie it can be resolved v easily.

edam Sat 08-Aug-09 11:20:49

Contact the court (I assume they must have a court order?) as well as the firm. I did this when we got bailiffs letters for a previous resident, was all sorted out quite quickly.

Also worth getting in touch with CAB or Consumer Direct, given the firm aren't answering (although it is Saturday, they may be around on Monday).

notsoteenagemum Sat 08-Aug-09 11:28:41

Don't worry too much, we have had loads of letters for the previous owners of our house threatening bailiffs but none ever came.
We have contacted most of them but some places don't seem to get the message.

IHeartKittensAndWine Sat 08-Aug-09 11:29:05

Thanks for all the helpful advice. It is related to a vehicle, so I have called the DVLA and they've been very helpful. Just hope they don't come round before I can get hold of the court etc and destroy a lovely weekend!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now