Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Help think have lost my money on ebay

(13 Posts)
BeauticianNotMagician Fri 07-Aug-09 08:26:58

Hi all please can anyone offer any advice.I recently sold a plasma tv on ebay and the buyer payed with buy it now it registered in my paypal account but once he collected the item it was reversed and paypal are investigating it as they think the payment may have been made with a stolen credit card.

Do i have any chance of getting the money back?

I think i already know the answer im just so upset im a single parent and that money was to feed and clothe us for a bit as im struggling at the moment.Feel like such an idiot.

Mousey84 Fri 07-Aug-09 09:25:05

Im really sorry but Seller protection doesnt apply if the item was picked up.

Have you asked paypal directly about what will happen?

I would contact the ombudsman asap. And the Daily Mail had something on it recently. Ill go find it now

Mousey84 Fri 07-Aug-09 09:27:00

Here you go. It says at the bottom, "Had a problem with PayPal? Email: j.coney@dailymail.co.uk" Prob so you can sell your story...but in the first story, the paper contacted paypal and the girl got her money refunded.

SparklyGothKat Fri 07-Aug-09 09:31:48

you should always say cash on collection for pickup items. Its a well known scam.

Mousey84 Fri 07-Aug-09 09:34:17

Did a search on MSE and found this check out post #11 (numbers on right)

Mousey84 Fri 07-Aug-09 09:35:26

I dont think you can do cash on collection now, must be paypal!

savoycabbage Fri 07-Aug-09 09:37:32

Wow, I didn't know that. Poor you sad What about the police?

SparklyGothKat Fri 07-Aug-09 09:40:47

ebay want you to say PP all the time, but as you have no tracking for pickup items you should always say COC

BeauticianNotMagician Fri 07-Aug-09 13:39:44

Thank you for all of your responses.
I had to offer paypal as it was on buy it now.So gutted paypal arent much help at all.Hopefully i will have more luck with the police but i have to wait for paypal to investigate first.

Im in debt so the loss of money/item is upsetting enough but the worst thing is that he came into my home and was talking and laughing with my two ds's.angrysad

BeauticianNotMagician Sat 08-Aug-09 18:31:07

I tried to email the buyer through ebay asking if there was a problem with his card(paypal advised me to do this).He replied saying that he did not by the item and that this is fraudulent.I then asked if he knows what happened(i meant as in did someone hijack his account).He replied with i dont know what happened i have informed paypal.I then responded by asking if the money left his account as the item was collected.I asked him this as i was hoping he would confirm his account was hijacked.He replied with this is in paypals hands now.

Is it me or is there any need for him to be so rude.He writes in the same kind of way the person who collected the item did as well so i wonder if his account has been hijacked at all.

carrielou2007 Sun 09-Aug-09 21:54:19

I'm really sorry this has happened to you. I don't think you will get your money back. You don't have to accept paypal but you have to offer it as a payment. Never never ever have pp on collection item. I had an item on BIN that was collected this evening, cash on collection.

I have read on ebay forums to post a copy of the printed invoice and send it recorded delivery to the buyer so that it gives you a tracking number, not sure if that would make any difference. I think that was a pram company scamming people who had paid and they were claiming they had sent them by providing this tracking number in pp dispute.

BeauticianNotMagician Mon 10-Aug-09 15:58:03

I was going to try that Carrielou2007 but would it be too late now as claim opened on friday and i said buyer collected.I dont see what they could do perhaps i should try that.I dont even know if the buyer is claiming to have not recieved the item or saying that someone used his account as paypal are not very clear.

Im trying to forget about it now.No use crying over spilt milk and all.Its just a lot of money to me.I will never use ebay again cant believe i was so stupid.Oh well my children are healthy and happy thats all that matters.

MissSunny Mon 10-Aug-09 20:33:59

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now