Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

scary spam email from Paypal...

(8 Posts)
LottieG Wed 25-May-05 09:50:41

Just received an email, looking like an official paypal one, saying I have spent 1900 dollars on a long penis!!!

Have been in touch with paypal and it looks like it's a fraud. Has this happened to anyone else? I am keeping an eye on it in case the money actually leaves my account!!

biglips Wed 25-May-05 09:52:12

.. sorry i think thats funny .... no seriously best to keep your eye on your account for the next couple of days, just incase.

LottieG Wed 25-May-05 09:53:27

Indeed, it must be an extremely long penis for 1900 dollars!

Will find it funny myself as long as they don't actually take the money!!

ponygirl Wed 25-May-05 09:54:59

I got one of these yesterday too. Gave me a fright but dh reckons it's just an attempt to get my paypal details. It looks authentic though, unlike most of the bank ones! I'm going to keep checking my a/c too.

tamula Wed 25-May-05 09:55:09

send all bogus paypal emails to spoof@paypal.com they'll verify its authenticity. Paypal and Ebay are reknowned for a non-stop supply of bogus mail that basically want your account info and will stich you right up.

Gwenick Wed 25-May-05 09:56:03

Don't click through from any of the links on the email to get to paypal - these types of email are designed to trick people into entering their security details for paypal, onto a FALSE paypal website - and THEN they get into you account.

tamula Wed 25-May-05 09:57:44

Protect Yourself from Fraudulent Emails and Websites

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At PayPal, protecting your account's security is our top priority. Recently, PayPal members have reported suspicious-looking emails and fake websites. These emails are not from PayPal and responding to them may put your account at risk. Please protect your PayPal account by paying close attention to the emails you receive and the websites you visit.

Please use the following tips to stay safe with PayPal:

Safe Log In: To log in to your PayPal account or access the PayPal website, open a new web browser (e.g., Internet Explorer or Netscape) and type in the following: https://www.paypal.co.uk
Greeting: Emails from PayPal will address you by your first and last name or the business name associated with your PayPal account. Fraudulent emails often include the salutation "Dear PayPal User" or "Dear PayPal Member".
Email Attachments: PayPal emails will never ask you to download an attachment or a software program. Attachments contained in fraudulent emails often contain viruses that may harm your computer or compromise your PayPal account.
Request for Personal Information: If we require information from you, we will notify you in an email and request that you enter the information only after you have safely and securely logged in to your PayPal account.

Often, fraudulent emails will request details such as your full name, account password, credit card number, bank account, PIN number, National Insurance Number, or mother's maiden name.
If you think that you have received a fraudulent email (or fake website), please forward the email (or URL address) to spoof@paypal.com and then delete the email from your mailbox. Never click any links or attachments in a suspicious email.

To learn more about protecting your PayPal account, please review our Security Tips.

LottieG Wed 25-May-05 10:11:21

Thanks for that info. Luckily I knew it was prob not genuine as my paypal is Swiss and therefore everything comes in German.

Have sent notified paypal.

Glad I'm not the only one though!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now