Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Another will question...

(3 Posts)
Mousey84 Tue 04-Aug-09 18:05:07

Didnt want to hi-jack, but why not use a do-it-yourself pack? Legal loopholes?

Been thinking about this a lot recently after my grandad passed away (a month ago tomorrow).

Ive no possessions of great value, I rent and am a single parent. I have no debt. DD would be looked after by my parents and possessions arent worth anything really - no heirlooms or anything. Any money made from selling them would be for my dd, and my parents wouldnt even think about it being any other way.

I have no preference to what happens to my body after I die, but I guess I need to have something in there about that.

Only problem I could forsee is theres a very very slim chance that dds father may want custody. By his own admission, he is too selfish to raise a child, but he might change his mind if something happened. Hes not on the birth cert, if that makes a difference.

mumblechum Tue 04-Aug-09 18:08:15

Not sure whether you can appoint a Guardian with those DIY packs but in any case if there was a dispute over who your ds would live with, either his dad or your parents would have to make an application to the Court for a residence order. Your ex could also apply for parental responsibility. The Guardianship would indicated what you wanted, but the court wouldn't be obliged to follow it.

From what you've said, a DIY will would probably be ok.

Mousey84 Tue 04-Aug-09 18:17:49

Thanks. Was planning to write a letter and send to both dds father and my parents stating my intentions. Will have a chat with dds dad first. Bit tricky to bring up in conversation. LOL

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now