Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

turning 18...

(14 Posts)
soontobe18 Tue 04-Aug-09 15:53:03

I'm looking for some advice and would really appreciate it if anyone could help please.

I was made redundant last year and decided to go freelancing. So far, it's working out well, but I am struggling a little financially.

My daughter turns 18 at the end of this month. She left college in June, started a new job which we was thrilled about. Unfortunately they have had to let a few go, so she is now out of work. I'm told that she can not claim benefits until she turns 18 and so I am supporting her. Her job was only part time and I am happy to continue supporting until she is financially able to do it on her own.

I'm not sure at this stage if there is any help I can get from the government with this. Her father stopped paying maintenance a fews years back. The child benefit has stopped now that she has finished education. I do not get income support because of my work situation, and it looks as though when she turns 18 she will not be able to claim housing benefit whilst living with a parent.

My daughter doesn't want to leave the family home and I don't want her out there struggling until she is ready. It seems ridiculous that she can leave and claim rent elsewhere but not whilst living with a parent. Does this mean that neither myself or my daughter get any financial help at all whilst she is unemployed and at home?

Is there anyone there in a similar situation who could give advice please?

Sorry it's a bit long :-)

SausageRocket Tue 04-Aug-09 15:57:32

I'm flabberghasted that you seem to think she should be entitled to HB whilst living with you !Of course she won't get HB if she has never paid anything towards the home she lives in or if her name is not on the tenancy agreement or mortgage.

If she is actively seeking a job and turns 18 at the end of the month can she not claim jobseekers allowance ?

Sam100 Tue 04-Aug-09 16:00:45

Sorry not got any direct experience but did not want to leave your thread unanswered.

Can she get on a training programme? here.

soontobe18 Tue 04-Aug-09 16:06:43

Why should you be flabbergasted by this question? I ask because HB is something she can claim elsewhere, but not in the family home. It's a struggle being a single parent, supporting myself and a child without any financial help. All my benefits have stopped and it is not easy.

Im merely asking if there is any kind of help we can get now that she is becoming an adult and not currently working.

She is actively seeking a job and will be able to claim jobseekers allowance when she turns 18.

SausageRocket Tue 04-Aug-09 16:08:35

Go to the CAB or the benefits online thing, they should be able to tell her what she is entitled to and what she is not entitled to.

soontobe18 Tue 04-Aug-09 16:11:13

Thanks Sam100, I will look into that, although she will be 18 in two weeks. From a very brief look at the link you kindly sent, they may only take on up to 18 year olds. Thanks

soontobe18 Tue 04-Aug-09 16:16:23

SausageRocket...I have looked already. It doesn't look like she is entitled to anything whilst being supported by a parent.

lizziemun Tue 04-Aug-09 16:59:34

She will prob only be entilted job seekers allowance.

This happen to my sister although she had been working and paying full tax and ni since she was 16yrs any tax paid does not count.

lizziemun Tue 04-Aug-09 17:01:31

This happen to my sister although she had been working and paying full tax and ni since she was 16yrs any tax paid before 18yrs does not count.

Sorry one handed typing holding wriggly ds

soontobe18 Tue 04-Aug-09 17:12:00

Thanks lizziemun.

I think I'm going to have to re-think my situation. It's all getting quite scary, to say the least. I've been sitting down trying to work out exactly what will be changing on her 18th and it's quite daunting. I've also realised, it will soon be 2 adults in the house (but only one income), so I will be paying a hefty council tax bill too! Arghhh!

Perhaps it's time to rent out the spare room!

I'm also feeling so much resentment for the Father who hasn't contributed financially.angry

Thanks all

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 04-Aug-09 17:13:01

Hello. Just to let you know: I'm moving this thread to the Legal/money matters Topic, where you may find it gets more replies.

Site stuff is really all about stuff that's happening on the site (usually stuff that isn't working and you'd like us to fix!) smile

soontobe18 Tue 04-Aug-09 17:15:33

Ah, I hadn't spotted that Topic heading. Cheers

LoveMyGirls Tue 11-Aug-09 19:03:49

What if she does a leaflet drop offering babysitting/ dog walking/ mothers help?

Anything just to bring in some cash for now?

Mspontipine Tue 11-Aug-09 23:04:52

Hey - can you claim tax credit for her? Working and child tax credit. Do you still get Child Benefit?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: