Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Making a will - little help please?

(10 Posts)
mumblecrumble Tue 04-Aug-09 13:48:25

Hi there,

Keep asking people how you make a will and they say get a solicitor...

So how does one go about that? Ring round and get quotes? Will writing type firm? £3 pack from TescoS?

Am married with one child....

Tinker Tue 04-Aug-09 13:51:30

Yes, just ring some solicitors and get quotes for doing it. Do not do it yourself.

mumblecrumble Tue 04-Aug-09 13:54:29

And how much ish should it cost.....

Tinker Tue 04-Aug-09 13:55:56

I think mine was about £125 + VAT? Partner's was a bit cheaper then mine - I have 2 kids with different dads so makes things more complicated.

mumblecrumble Tue 04-Aug-09 13:58:06

ooooo...... have about 3 quotes now ranging from 140 -250.
Is the service fairly standard then? Or do you 'get waht you pay for' type thing?

mumblechum Tue 04-Aug-09 13:58:10

I charge £175 plus VAT for one, £240 & VAT for a couple. SE England, may be cheaper in other areas.

Tinker Tue 04-Aug-09 13:59:35

I should imagine, unless very complicated, it is a very standard cut and paste job writing most wills.

mumblechum Tue 04-Aug-09 14:00:53

You should be sent a questionnaire form, which you complete and sign. The solicitor will then draft the willl based on what you've said and will call/email you if they need any clarification.

They'll then draft the will and send it to you for approval together with a letter highlighting various things, eg if they recommend something different from what you've said you want.

Once the draft has been amended or approved in view of the above, you'll go in to see the solicitor, they'll go through it with you in detail, get youto sign it & they'll get it witnessed, send you a copy & usually keep the original in their safe.

rubyslippers Tue 04-Aug-09 14:02:10

we paid £250 for both our wills (mirror wills) nearly 2 years ago

mumblecrumble Tue 04-Aug-09 14:04:10

oooo, thanks Questionaire idea seems very sensible...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now