Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can you get off a mortgage without the remaining mortgage holder having to get a new mortgage?

(6 Posts)
expatinscotland Mon 03-Aug-09 21:17:56

I'm asking for a friend of mine, since everyone knows we are not homeowners.

This friend of mine is separated and childfree, but has A LOT of consumer debt and it about to be made redundant.

She is on a mortgage with her husband, from whom she's been separated for a year.

She left the home and has been living in a flat in another city.

She needs to look into bankrupcy.

Trouble is, she's still on this mortgage and she doesn't want her estranged husband to lose the home.

He cannot get a mortgage for the amount in his own name.

Is there a way she can just get off the existing one without his having to get a new mortgage so she can then become insolvent?

This is in Scotland, btw.

mrsjammi Mon 03-Aug-09 21:21:28

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Mon 03-Aug-09 21:24:40

Oh, no, mrsjammi. I figured that much, but I don't know anythign about mortgages here because I've never had one nor ever will.

She can't afford to buy him out at all.

The only thing he can do is ask his parents for money, which he's loathe to do, but the reality is that if she doesn't get another job soon she will not be able to satisfy her debts.

expatinscotland Mon 03-Aug-09 21:27:17

There is no equity, either.

Both of them re-mortgaged it to rack up consumer debt.

onepieceoflollipop Mon 03-Aug-09 21:29:45

I know nothing about Scottish law, sorry.

However, would there be an option of him renting out one or more of the rooms and "proving" to the mortgage lender that this added income would ensure he can meet the payments? (the rental would hopefully make up the shortfall due to his ex-w leaving?)

Afaik some companies are more flexible in this type of circumstance; what they really need is some sort of guarantee (as much as anything that can be guaranteed) that the mortgage will be paid.

mrsjammi Mon 03-Aug-09 21:32:01

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now