Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Is it possible to insure a car before buying it?

(11 Posts)
MsBrandybuck Sun 02-Aug-09 22:56:40

Our car failed its MOT so we have SORNed it. Haven't notified the insurance company yet as we still have it on the driveway. We have put in a winning bid for a car on ebay and need to collect and pay for it in a couple of days. The new car is MOTed but not taxed (also SORNed). We can't tax it online until registered to our address. We can't tax at the Post Office until we have all the docs and insurance sorted. DH will have to drive it home (just a few miles) without tax and risk a fine but I'm more worried about the insurance. He is covered to drive a car owned and insured by someone else, but by the time he is driving it home he will be the owner so surely that doesn't work.

If we can get the insurance changed before buying, then perhaps my mum could drive it on her insurance? Please can someone confirm that this is more simple than it seems as I'm suffering a bit from baby brain plus a heavy cold and my head hurts sad

Tinker Sun 02-Aug-09 23:03:43

You won't get insurance if it's not taxed (don't think) You can get a cover note for 7 days for insurance because this scenario happens all teh time re buying cars. Can't the current owner get it taxed?

tots2ten Sun 02-Aug-09 23:08:26

I have bought cars (quite a few) on Ebay and insured them before going to pick them up. I payed to get the cover note quicker so that I could tax the car before driving it home. You can insure a untaxed car (otherwise you wont be able to tax it)

If you get the green slip off the bottom of the V5c and take the cover note and the MOT to the local post office you will be able to buy tax and have the car all legal before you drive it home.

Hope that helps smile

Ponders Sun 02-Aug-09 23:14:08

Can you do that even with a SORNed car though? That must make things more complicated?

tots2ten Sun 02-Aug-09 23:19:02

Yes, as soon as you buy tax the sorn cancels itself out.

tots2ten Sun 02-Aug-09 23:22:05

Forgot to mention, that if the car had no MOT, so long as you book it into the nearest MOT garage, you can drive it there on a SORN get the car MOT'd and then go to a post office before you drive the car away from the garage, and tax it. Making the car all legal. That is the only time that you can drive a SORN'd car on a public road. I checked with local police when we went to pick up yet another of dh's buys.

MsBrandybuck Sun 02-Aug-09 23:36:43

Thanks all smile. Useful to know about the MOT tots2ten. We had to get something with an MOT though.

blushingm Mon 03-Aug-09 09:16:05

you can put it as a temp car on your existing policy. With the covernote they send you'll be able to tax it (you don't need the v5 and mot's are now computerised so i think they check at the PO)

Then you'll have a tax disc and insurance cover for when you pick it up


fluffyanimal Mon 03-Aug-09 09:18:06

Norwich Union/Aviva do a 7 day insurance policy called Driveaway, specifically for the purposes of buying cars.

tots2ten Mon 03-Aug-09 09:40:13

blushinggm you will need to produce both V5 (or green slip) and a current MOT along with your insurance to be able to tax a car at the post office.

blushingm Mon 03-Aug-09 10:16:57

what about arranging the covernote to be posted to the seller and add the tax amount to thier payment so they can have it taxed ready for you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now