Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How do I find a good Financial Adviser?

(6 Posts)
shinyhappypeople Fri 31-Jul-09 21:43:32

Hi, just wondering if there is a good way to find a reliable Financial Adviser, are there any websites I can access that have reviews or anything like that?

Thanks

Mousey84 Sat 01-Aug-09 16:07:19

Have a look at this book. Heard some good things about it. I also flicked through this in the library the other day and it seemed very good. Its good to know for yourself whats going on, even if you do decide to use a financial advisor as well.

If you do decide to use one, make sure they are independant (and can advise on the whole market) and with the FSA. You can find a list of advisors on www.unbiased.co.uk/ I dont know about review sites though.

Depending on what its for, you may wish to contact CAB - they have financial advisors there, but I dont think they deal with investments.

LeninGrad Sat 01-Aug-09 17:23:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

shinyhappypeople Sat 01-Aug-09 21:31:08

Its for my mum, she has savings in her normal bank account but she has just seen staff from the Halifax in the past to advise her, therefore everything is with the Halifax, she is thinking about new options for her money, such as purchasing a house to rent out to my bro, or stocks and shares?

Thanks for all advise so far

LeninGrad Sat 01-Aug-09 21:33:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tatt Sat 01-Aug-09 21:37:38

personal recommendation is the best way.

The Halifax are not generally near the top of best buy tables and bank accounts usually pay pathetic levels of interest. If she has a substantial sum there she should move it into several accounts with different BSs or banks for safety. A good financial adviser would ask questions like her age and attitude to risk, tax situation and so on. They need quite a bit of information to give good advice.

If they don't point out the downside of other forms of investment (time delay in selling house, capital gains tax implications, what she would do if your brother didn't pay rent); risks in stock market etc then they wouldn't be a good advisor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now