Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

hep writing a letter of resignation

(8 Posts)
SNOWBall4girlz Fri 31-Jul-09 12:58:25

hi
not sure if this is the right place but need some help with the wording of a letter of resignation.

They have to give four weeks notice do you mention that in the letter?
Do you put the date you want to leave?
ANY INPUT WELcome sorry caps lock

mumblechum Fri 31-Jul-09 13:01:47

I usually say something along the lines of

1. I will be leaving in 4 weeks time (add reason if you want, butnot if it's controversial)

2. Sorry to leave, it's been good for <insert reason>

It's tempting to say stuff your job you twats, but you want a good reference.

Judy1234 Fri 31-Jul-09 13:02:40

Yes, get out your contract of employment. See what it says in the part about giving notice and where the notice is supposed to be sent. Write something like - I am writing to give four weeks' written notice of resignation of my employment contract with you. The four weeks will expire on [ date] and that will be my last day in the office. [ If you would like me to work a little longer.... add something like that if you would be willing to but not otherwise...] If there are things like company care to return or unused holiday entitlement they can sort all that out for you and no need to mention it. If you are going because they have treatedyou badly and you might want to bring a claim against them then take some legal advice before you resign.

VinegarTits Fri 31-Jul-09 13:08:25

Yes put the date and your contracted terms of notice

If you are leaving on bad terms, don't mention this in your resignation, keep it simple and maybe thank them for the experience and opportunities or wish them continues success in the future or whatever, but keep in simple, you only really need to state your notice period and leaving date, you dont have to explain why you are leaving.

SNOWBall4girlz Fri 31-Jul-09 13:21:57

Some great advice thanks, I wil quote the terms of the contract ie) I need to give four weeks and also thank them for there support.

SNOWBall4girlz Fri 31-Jul-09 13:22:19

their <<sp>>

SNOWBall4girlz Fri 31-Jul-09 13:24:29

Dear Boss,

Please take this as written confirmation that I am giving four weeks notice of my intention to leave ..this job...

I would like to thank you for the support, help and advice that you have given.

Do I need to expand this ?

Thankyou for you replies.

Judy1234 Sat 01-Aug-09 07:27:29

I wiould add just to be clear when that four weeks expires and which will be your last day in the office such as "my notice therefore expiring on [ August 2009] which will be my last day in the office".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now