Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Separation, ownership of house and housing benefit - Help!

(3 Posts)
wangle99 Fri 31-Jul-09 11:25:39

DH and I are separating, both on house deeds with £60,000 mortgage.

The children are coming with me (DD 12, DS 5) but I cannot support myself on my own without housing benefit help.

Does anyone know how this works when you own a house? Thanks

TheArmadillo Fri 31-Jul-09 11:28:19

unless you sell the house you are unlikely to get help from housing benefit.

IF you do sell they will ask you where the money has gone before you get help.

I would talk to shelter and get advice.


juggielady Fri 31-Jul-09 22:22:00

I investigated this same issue three months ago and went to the housing officer at my local council. You will be eligible for housing benefit because you have children to care for. Make an appointment with the appropriate person at your local council so you will receive up-to-date information. The Housing officer told me that being an home owner is irrelevant, their first prioriety is that the children are ok, so yes you will be able to claim housing benefit and you will be able to claim income support. Good luck

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: