Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can i earn enough to come off hb and!!!???

(6 Posts)
startingagain Thu 30-Jul-09 19:05:53

I am in one of those awkward situations moneywise, don't quite earn enough to not get some benefits. I am on my own with teenagers. I am working, nightshifts and cleaning jobs during the daytime, but i receive some hb and ctb oh and also some wtc/ctc. I don't want to claim these, i don't get much but i NEED some extra work. I am knackered cos of the nightwork but i manage to do the day cleaning as this tops up my money. Does anyone have any ideas of how to make some extra cash...i know everyone needs this right now! Or is there others in my situation who can tell me how they cope? I am so skint, even with the work i do, i have debts which don't help.

MadameCastafiore Thu 30-Jul-09 19:09:43

Can you type?

I have done a medical terminology qualification in the hope (well definate) that I will get some work in one of the local hospitals. They are very flexible, pay very well and it is a varied job.

If you are on benefits you should go the job centre and see if you can get some training for this with Pitmans or maybe something else free.

startingagain Thu 30-Jul-09 19:18:14

I can type, always been quite quick and accurate, i actually quite like itsmile. How do i go about doing this?

I am working so i am not sure if the job centre would help me out with courses anyway, i just get a top up to my wages with the housing benefit and some council tax benefit, oh and abit of wtc. I really want to be earning enough to pay all my bills and not have to claim those benefits.

Thanks for your reply, what is a medical terminology qualification??

startingagain Thu 30-Jul-09 23:12:12

Just watched how the other half live and i don't feel any better off than the 'poor' family. Although i am lucky enough to live in a rural area, i would be suicidal stuck in a tower block in those cirumstances.

MadameCastafiore Sat 01-Aug-09 10:11:02

You do it online with BSMSA or you can do it with pitmans but that is much more expensive and a bit of a waste of time if you have the typing skills and half a brain!

Medical terminiligy is just understanding what the words mean in terms used by the medical profession - eg. nephrolitiasis is the medical term for kidney stones - it is just learning all of those but isn't as scarey as you first think, and it is nice to be stimualted in the old grey matter department. Once you learn what the prefixes, suffixes and roots of the words mean it is pretty much just sticking them together.

Look at BSMSA Online and see what you think. Also look online for jobs advertised at your local hospital - temping is the quickest route in once you have your qualification though.

Good luck with whatever path you choose though.

startingagain Sat 01-Aug-09 14:42:01

Thank you MadameC, certainly given me something to look into and think about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now