Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How should my sister take money abroad for her wedding?

(12 Posts)
anchovies Mon 23-May-05 18:40:38

My sister needs some cash to pay for stuff but the rest can be paid on a card. She doesn't know the exact amount she needs.

Which is best:

Sterling travellers cheques
Euro travellers cheques
Euros
or
Credit card?

LIZS Mon 23-May-05 18:42:17

where is she going ?

anchovies Mon 23-May-05 18:48:40

Sorry should have added that, she's getting married in Rhodes. We go the week after her but she needs to pay for some stuff before we arrive and my parents are paying for some of it so will need to give her some money either onto her credit card or in cash/travellers cheques.

Twiglett Mon 23-May-05 18:50:06

credit card is best bet if they take them IMHO

if not, does she have a switch card - can't she put it in her bank account and then just use an ATM to withdraw the amount of money she needs

never exchange money before going abroad personally

SoupDragon Mon 23-May-05 18:51:08

We use switch + ATM too.

anchovies Mon 23-May-05 18:52:03

Can I ask why? She does have a switch card but wasn't expecting you to say that!

Twiglett Mon 23-May-05 18:53:15

why not?

you don't wander around with large wadges of cash

you don't have to shop around for best commission when the difference normally equates to a couple of quid

you don't have the hassle of signing all the travellers cheques

and ATMs are everywhere

anchovies Mon 23-May-05 18:57:59

It will total about £3000, will the difference be that small?

Twiglett Mon 23-May-05 18:59:17

well find out from your bank what the charges will be - normally at exchange rate on the day or maybe at a basic fee, then find out how much it will be if you change it up front

personally for 3K I'd pay by credit card

SoupDragon Mon 23-May-05 18:59:48

I wouldn't want to take that sort of money with me in any form tbh. Having said that, I'm not sure you can get that amount out of an ATM...

We use ATMs because that way, you don't take too much or too little with you

SoupDragon Mon 23-May-05 19:00:41

Don't take it in Euros though! <<shudder>> can you imagine losing it??

LIZS Mon 23-May-05 19:32:38

There is normally a daily limit on withdrawals at atm's but she could check with her bank before hand and take some in another form to be on the safe side or in case the atm isn't convenient when she first gets there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now