Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Power of Attorney - open to abuse?

(16 Posts)
SixtyFootDoll Wed 29-Jul-09 20:26:17

If you have power of attorney can you be scrutinised for financial irregularity?
Believe someon is helping them self rather than paying an elderly relatives bills..

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Wed 29-Jul-09 20:33:51

I think this is a fraud issue if you believe this to be the case so the solicitor overseeing the estate and the police need to be involved.
IIRC, they are not scrutinised by anyone or any body. If you suspect an irregularity then your best bet (depending on how close you are to the relatives and whether you are involved in the estate) is to go to the solicitor or the police.

SingingBear Wed 29-Jul-09 20:36:27

Message withdrawn

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Wed 29-Jul-09 20:37:40

smile Thanks SingingBear.

It shows how much the law changes since completing my degree. sad

SixtyFootDoll Wed 29-Jul-09 20:39:40

An application has been made to the Office of Public Guardian so will wait and see
Is very sad isnt it?

SingingBear Wed 29-Jul-09 20:40:58

Message withdrawn

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Wed 29-Jul-09 20:41:12

Yes, it's good that there are now some safeguards though. It may not be as you suspect, it might show the person involved for what they are though, it's better to find out now then when there's nothing left.

SingingBear Wed 29-Jul-09 20:41:34

Message withdrawn

SingingBear Wed 29-Jul-09 20:44:26

Message withdrawn

SixtyFootDoll Wed 29-Jul-09 20:44:37

embarrassingly i am a Police Officer and have been approached by a friend concerned about a family member, asking my advice blush
We didnt know who had power of attorney to start with, the solicitor did but is not any more.
The family member's care home bills are not being paid and we bleieve the relative who poss now has POA is obv not paying bills so where is the money going?
Like you said hoping Office of PG will help..

Besom Wed 29-Jul-09 20:45:15

You could also call social services and talk to them about it, and they will involve the police if needs be. Is it someone with dementia?

In Scotland there is a body called 'the Office of the Public Guardian' who oversee things and keep records of POA's etc. If you were in Scotland I would say phone them for advice but I don't know if there is an equivalent body in England.

Besom Wed 29-Jul-09 20:46:36

A lot of x posts! Was faffing about wrting that!

SingingBear Wed 29-Jul-09 20:52:56

Message withdrawn

Besom Wed 29-Jul-09 20:54:09

I can only talk about Scotland but due to Adult Protection laws/guidlines we now have this would warrant involvement by both ss and the police (even if no prosecution was to come out of it), and especially if this person does not have capacity to make their own financial decisions.

I'm surprised the care home has not got ss involved as they will be wanting their fees paid.

SingingBear Wed 29-Jul-09 20:56:06

Message withdrawn

SixtyFootDoll Wed 29-Jul-09 21:36:23

SS are involved but seem a bit baffled too, hopefully we will get it sorted!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: