Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

HELP!!! Making a will tomorrow - what do I need to think about????

(11 Posts)
RainbowJelly Tue 28-Jul-09 18:39:39

I have a DH, 2 DS's
Home (mortgaged)
Jewellery
Car
Uhmmmm????
HELP please????

RainbowJelly Tue 28-Jul-09 18:41:00

Oops - forgot to add - I am a regular who has namechanged, because I have been found out in RL!!!

Tortington Tue 28-Jul-09 18:42:27

repeat after me
I bequeeth my worldy goods to 'custardo'

Spoo Tue 28-Jul-09 18:43:50

The main issue for me was who would look after the kids if we both went, and also when they would receive our fortunes.

nikki1978 Tue 28-Jul-09 18:45:30

The most important thing is guardians for your DC's. My friend who writes wills says you need to choose 2 people (preferably) who will chose who your children live with if you snuff it.

I guess the rest is deciding who your money and assets go to (a trust for DC's is usually the best)

fairylights Tue 28-Jul-09 18:46:31

you need to be able to say who will take on your children in the event that you and your dh die - this is worth thinking through seeing as you might want to ask whoever you decide to choose!
think thats the main thing we thought about before making our will.
there is all the money stuff of course but seeing as we knew we wouldn't have a huge estate (!) we have just left everything in a trust to support our dc as they grow up.
hth

nikki1978 Tue 28-Jul-09 18:46:32

not preferably people by the way I meant the emphasis to be on the amount of people grin

nikki1978 Tue 28-Jul-09 18:47:46

Oh plus you need executors.... so the people who will deal with it all (best to choose someone you trust here!)

pasturesnew Tue 28-Jul-09 18:48:52

you might like to include something about your desired funeral arrangements

RainbowJelly Tue 28-Jul-09 20:19:11

that's quite a lot to think about.

its actually thursday, not tomorrow, so i have a little more time to think and decide and ask and.....

uhhhh.....
seems awful having to decide our dc's future in the event that we are not here. sad

for those of you who have made wills, who have you decided will look after your children?

EldonAve Tue 28-Jul-09 20:25:00

I have opted for my bro but he has just married so I'm feeling a bit less sure about it

On another thread someone mentioned having executors who aren't guardians to stop the guardians spending all your kids inheritance

Do not choose the solicitor as an executor as it will just cost your estate more money

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now