Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

What information do i need from DH other than seeing his Will?

(10 Posts)
talking Mon 27-Jul-09 10:35:05

DH and I have a 17 month old DD.
He has a Will but I don't.
What information do I need to gather so that in the event of his death, I can keep the house running (apart from bank information, pension information etc). I don't mean house maintenance, more legal information type-thing.

talking Mon 27-Jul-09 13:46:05

Bump.

BecauseImWorthIt Mon 27-Jul-09 13:47:38

Are you planning on killing him?! You need a will too - sort that out first.

If he does die before you, you need to know everything about his financial situation, and what policies, bank accounts, insurances he has.

TheProfiteroleThief Mon 27-Jul-09 13:50:01

Erm - assuming you are not planning murder, I think best route is to jointly work out location of all info relating to house/money/policies/investments/debts/cars/work etc and have it in a suitable filing cabinet or fire safe. This is useful in case of any emergency.

The you should write your own will, then both write a letter with how you would like your daughter to be raised if you both fall under a bus.

HecatesTwopenceworth Mon 27-Jul-09 13:51:57

Dunno. Might be a good idea to talk to cab or solicitor maybe?

here's what you need after death

there's also a discussion here

and bereavement advice centre here

ok. now that's out of the way, why are you thinking about this stuff? are you ok? Is it the birth of your child that has made you think of this? are you anxious?

Lilymaid Mon 27-Jul-09 13:52:56

When did your DH make his will? If he made it before you were married, it would have been automatically revoked on your marriage. He would then need to make another will - and it would be a good idea if you made one at the same time.

talking Wed 29-Jul-09 13:22:21

Hi.

Sorry not to post sooner - I was out all day yesterday.

Hecates - I'm not anxious (nor planning murder), I want to make sure that the event of his, my, or both of our death's that our DD and the surviving spouse have money to live on and can survive.

I think that this is information that all husbands and wives or partners need to gather, especially partners who stay at home to look after children - as one person would find it very hard to be the breadwinner and look after a child - especially after a bereavement.

It's called being responsible.

Poledra Wed 29-Jul-09 13:28:17

Actually, talking, I think you're being sensible. My DBro, who is an accountant, keeps nagging DH and I to make wills, so that things are clear and simple in the event of either (or both) of our deaths.

We keep all financial and legal docs togther in a filing cabinet. We keep promising we'll make a will too.....

caykon Thu 30-Jul-09 09:15:48

me and dh booked an appointment with a solicitor and he went through everything with us and then we made a joint will

talking Fri 31-Jul-09 22:35:00

Thanks everyone.

I will sit down and sort things out - hopefully on Monday when DD is at nursery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now