Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

fascinating question about pensions!!!

(2 Posts)
rosiejoy Sat 25-Jul-09 20:48:54

ok, not really. but i had to get you here somehow!

i will be 30 in a couple of years, dp is 10 years older than me, and neither of us has pensions. we do not own property and have no real 'careers'. im intending to train as a teacher and should be qualified in 2 yrs time.

so, am thinking seriously about the future, how to be financially secure etc. i imagine teachers have a pension through their job? will this still exist by the time i come to retire? will it even be worth the paper its written on?

do most people have private pensions? or rely on other forms of income? eg. rental from properties owned etc....

i know absolutely nothing and would be very grateful for any advice, or to hear what others are planning.

also, would like dp and i to be financially secure, but also definitely NOT to be reliant on him.
we have split up in the past, all is well now, but if the worst should happen and we split up i want to be in strong financial position to take care of dcs smile

scaryteacher Sat 25-Jul-09 22:17:16

There is a teachers pension scheme that you and the employer contributes to. It is a stable scheme as it is a govt one, and they can't afford to let the public sector schemes go bust (although they have sought legal advice from the EU on the possible consequences of doing so).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now