Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

tax credit cheque...cash or bank??

(7 Posts)
alfiesmadmother Sat 25-Jul-09 12:56:13

Just received a cheque from tax credits but I don't have a bank account at the moment. sad Can we cash these at a Post office does anyone know? Thank you.

simpson Sat 25-Jul-09 14:20:40

Yes I think you can but you will need to take some form of ID ie passport.

MrsGokWantsatidyhouse Sat 25-Jul-09 14:38:18

Yes you can.

if you are looking for a good basic account then I can recommend the Co-op Cashminder account. You can apply on the phone. It has Internet and phone banking, DD's and SO's, Visa Electon soon to be Visa Debit card, you can use any link machines to get money out and if you do not have a branch nearby you can use the Post Office to deposit money and cheques into your account.

Co-op

alfiesmadmother Sat 25-Jul-09 15:10:35

Oh thank you!! The reason is we have a joint account and my partner has just been made bankrupt sad I can't use out joint account and don't yet have another of my own and don't want this money to be in his account. it's obviously for both of us but the money would disappear and we need this for food at the moment.

MrsGokWantsatidyhouse Sat 25-Jul-09 18:47:53

The Cashminder account is designed for people who have money troubles and is one of only 2 accounts available to bankrupts.

Pop onto the Bankruptcy board on MSE and they will help you with any queries you may have

Bankruptcy and Living With It

While you are there get your self aquainted with the rest of MSE as well there is some great money saving tips on the forums. I love the Moneysaving Oldstyle board.

alfiesmadmother Sat 25-Jul-09 19:20:08

Thanks MrsGok. Pleased to say I cashed the cheque no problem, phew. Have to say i have been over to fab MSE and spent almost all last Sunday reading the thread you are talking about. I have cotton wool balls with oil behind my radiators now wink

MrsGokWantsatidyhouse Sat 25-Jul-09 21:34:37

Glad you got your money ok.

MSE is fab, isn't it!! Spend a lot of time on there and here grin possibly a bit too much time blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now