Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

CTF shares doing vv badly: hold and wait, right?

(9 Posts)
VulpusinaWilfsuit Fri 24-Jul-09 22:04:55

240 quid of the drip feed (only a tenner a month) has been evaporated into 90 quid.

But each month the price has dropped so more shares have been bought. So. Assuming the economy picks up, it will be OK in future? Right?

How and when do we assess if the fund is actually performing appropriately? I am a total idiot on these things.

EdnaSand Fri 24-Jul-09 22:07:25

I don't think you can do anything. Except choose not put anything else in.

Only your DC can take anything out once they're 18 - you can reverse anything done already. But fingers crossed by then you (they)'ll be making a killing on the lower priced shares you've bought now.

EdnaSand Fri 24-Jul-09 22:08:15

Can't reverse, I mean obviously.

duke748 Sun 26-Jul-09 22:33:37

If you can have a look at the fund you are in. The stock market has dropped on average 30% and yours has dropped more than that.

Check out this link:
www.moneyextra.com/dictionary/pound-cost-averaging-003482.php

Its about pound cost averaging, which, even if you don't know it is what you are doing!

VulpusinaWilfsuit Mon 27-Jul-09 00:25:24

thank you duke748

That is really useful info. Will look at the link. So, how to compare funds...?

LeninGrad Mon 27-Jul-09 07:51:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LeninGrad Mon 27-Jul-09 07:59:05

VulpusinaWilfsuit Mon 27-Jul-09 12:46:15

Hi Lenin, They've sent an annual summary of performance...

I know how to look up the fund, what I don't have is the knowledge of how to compare, or what to compare it with...

In a falling market, it is quite difficult to know whether the falls are reasonable, or not. And what evidence can people use to assess whether a fund is managed well?

Or am I over-complicating?

Presumably I oughtn't to move now anyway since the cash-in value is what matters (idiot question alert: because you don't transfer actual shares do you? Only their value?)

But I'd like to be more actively involved - if this fund has fallen more than others or in good times not gained as much as others, then I need to be able to tell...

LeninGrad Mon 27-Jul-09 14:23:39

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now