Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

permission for 16 year old to travle aboard?????

(7 Posts)
kentmumtj Fri 24-Jul-09 19:43:06

Just wondering if anyone out there knew the law regading a 16 year old going abroad (not sure which country) without her parents permission.

Is this allowed? Can another adult take her without the parents permission? Especially if the parent is strongly against the idea??

Wigeon Fri 24-Jul-09 21:24:27

I would think that it would be perfectly legal for a 16 year old to travel by them selves. I am pretty sure most airlines allow over 16s to travel unaccompanied (ie they are not an "unaccompanied minor), but it might depend on the airline. See for example, British Airways. That site also says that different countries might have different rules and regulations regarding children travelling alone.

So it looks like the answer might be "it depends" but I would imagine in most cases a 16 year old counted as an adult and was allowed to do what they like. Foreign Office travel website might help with rules in various countries?

Sounds like there is quite a bit more behind your question so hope you are ok.

kentmumtj Sun 26-Jul-09 09:13:45

hi yes im fine thank you

I guess if the parent with held the passport the 16 year old wouldnt be going anywhere

Starmummy Sun 26-Jul-09 09:28:27

DS age 13 regularly travels by plane by himself, NOT as an unaccompanied minor. To date no one has asked him anything.

GypsyMoth Sun 26-Jul-09 09:50:05

witholding a passport from a 16 year old is asking for trouble.
whats all this about anyway?

ZZZenAgain Sun 26-Jul-09 09:51:45

don't liket he sound of another adult taking a 16 year old girl abroad without the dp's permission. If I wasn't happy about it, I would take the passport.

Is this other adult aware of the strength of the dp's objections?

kentmumtj Tue 28-Jul-09 18:40:01

the other adult is aware of the parents objections, and the paretns feel so strongly that the 16 year old can not go with her. On the other adults travels abroad she takes drugs hidden on her body for her own use while away.

this is just a small insight into why the parents do not want the 16 year old daughetr to go with this other irresponsible adult.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now