Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Anyone know anything about cheques?

(3 Posts)
TitsalinaBumsquash Fri 24-Jul-09 16:29:51

Just a query, hopefully one of you will know the answer.

if you have a business cheque and there is no place to sign it instead in printed words in Authorised signitor - Will is clear or is it classed as Unsigned? If it is unsigned, when you handed it over in the bank would they reject it or put it in anyway and then just not clear it?

Just a cheque a friend has given me, just wondering if she hasn't signed it or its a different cheque, i don't want to waste time putting it in the bank if its just goingto be returned. TIA.

SueW Fri 24-Jul-09 16:42:50

It should usually be signed unless it's a special cheque from someone like Inland Revenue - but even those are pre-printed with a person's signature (I have one here!).

There should be space i.e. a gap, even if there isn't a line for the signature to sit on.

Authorised signatory is often printed by the bank when there are a variety of people who autohorised to sign e.g. director, secretary, office manager. If two sigs req'd it will usually say Authorised Signatory twice.

If yu pay the cheque in over the counter the cashier should spot that it isn't signed and tell you that. If s/he doesn't, then the cheque could be returned.

TitsalinaBumsquash Fri 24-Jul-09 17:06:45

Gah i shall have to get another from her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now