Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

If a substandard job need repairing, should damp company cover ALL associated costs?

(3 Posts)
notanumber Fri 24-Jul-09 12:59:44

We have horrible damp in our living room.

We bought a year or so ago and though the survey identified this, the vendors seemed surprised and said they'd never noticed it (yes, we're mugs) and provided us with the guarantee for the damp proof treatment (still with a few years to go on it) so we thought that it'd be fine.

The thing is, the company who doid the damp stuff only did the damp stuff. The owners at the time did the plastering themselves, so the company say that while they'll do the work, they won't do the replastering as that wasn't covered.

Are they right? It seems to me that if they'd done a proper job in the first place then it wouldn't need replastering so they should do it all?

Advice very much welcomed.

trixymalixy Fri 24-Jul-09 14:48:42

I don't think so. My parents had a dispute with a company that did their damp proofing work. They had to go to court and my parents won, but they had to cover the cost of redecoration themselves as it was not included in the original work spec.

Owls Fri 24-Jul-09 14:53:04

That's right their Guarantee will only cover their original work.

Do they need to take the plaster off? We had some work done at a previous property and to avoid the re-plastering saga (we were selling at the time) they injected the walls at various points and didn't need to take the plaster off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now