Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax credits query

(7 Posts)
wrinklytum Sun 19-Jul-09 21:35:47

I recently have statrted back at work following a career break.Am the main earner on fairly low income and dp is unable to work cos of chronic illness.

I obv informed TC people of my circumstances change and have recently had £1,400 paid into my account on top of usual weekly money.Surely this is a mistake?I am struggling to get through to them at the moment to query it.Obv I am not going to spend it as it seems a bit iffy to me.Any ideas as to WHY this would have happened.(Totally mystified emoticon)

onepieceoflollipop Sun 19-Jul-09 21:41:17

wrinklytum my colleauge (who is in a similar financial situation to you) said that the amounts have gone up and the TC department are currently updating people's claims. She had an extra £30 ish last week, unexpectedly. She said she has been in regular contact with them wrt changes so she thinks that's why hers was a relatively small amount.

I had almost £400 paid in (again unexpectedly) after I phoned them with a change in circumstances.

Might be best to separate that money from your usual account until you get it confirmed, that's what I am doing. (I suspect that in my case I slightly overestimated our income last year, as I was too scared to underestimate it with the risk of getting too much/being accused of fraud)

onepieceoflollipop Sun 19-Jul-09 21:41:53

colleague I mean, I can spell really.

ilove Sun 19-Jul-09 21:45:25

Blimey it would be nice if they have increased the amounts...anywhere we can look this up?

wrinklytum Sun 19-Jul-09 21:50:14

i amconvinced it is an error,I mean..£1,400!!!That is a lot of money.

dp says bank it and claim the interest then give it back if they ask for it,but I would feel a bit guilty doing this.

Gahh,have tried ringing them several times and lines busy.

onepieceoflollipop Sun 19-Jul-09 21:52:41

wrinkly any chance you could try them on a weekday afternoon? - lines might be less busy They have either made a few mistakes overpaying people, or lots of people like us are trying to get through to clarify unexpected payments.

Also others are trying to do their claim for 2008-09 and are ringing them with the details.

ilovetrees Sun 19-Jul-09 22:14:47

On the subject of ringing TC I have found a cheeky little loophole phone number which gets you through everytime in a couple of rings.

When you get to the 3900 bit of the phone number at the end, do 3600 instead.

Works a treat!

Be careful though because I know a few people who've had extra money and then had to give it back even up to a year later. May be OK though but needs checking.

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now