Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

DH's child support obligations if I earn more

(6 Posts)
MollFlounders Sun 19-Jul-09 08:21:20

Does anyone know the answer to this quick question: DH and I have DD (9 months). We both work FT so have a nanny. I earn more than DH. If we separate/divorce, does DH have to contribute to the nanny cost?

mumblechum Sun 19-Jul-09 08:33:38


It's likely you'll either agree mtce along the CSA formula or if you can't agree, the CSA will have to get involved and impose the formula which is that the non resident parent pays 15% of their NET pay for one child, 20% for 2 or 25% for 3 or more.

If things settle amicably, the parties can agree that the non resident parent pays extra towards childcare but it's not mandatory. If there was a dispute the mum would apply to the court for spousal maintenance and use that as cover for getting extra towards childcare.

The fact that you earn more than your dh doesn't affect anything.

MollFlounders Sun 19-Jul-09 09:06:43

Thanks very mumblechum. So DH has some sort of general obligation to contribute towards DD's upbringing (assuming I have residence) but no specific obligation re a nanny or any other form of childcare? I don't know anything about this so haven't looked at the CSA formula (in fact, don't know what it is yet)

mumblechum Sun 19-Jul-09 13:26:21

That's correct, Moll. As I say if you only have one child he'll pay 15% of his net pay for child mtce.

pinkteddy Sun 19-Jul-09 13:31:12

This is a great website which you may find helpful - Parents apart guide

MollFlounders Sun 19-Jul-09 18:12:34

Thanks mumble and pinkteddy. That website looks really helpful- thank you

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: