Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Purchased house with windows/doors under warranty, now saying it isn't transferable?

(4 Posts)
YanknCock Wed 15-Jul-09 12:19:20

We bought a house in January 2009, and one of the points we were quite happy with was that the windows and doors had been recently replaced (April 2007). They gave us the certificates and warranty for 10 years.

So last week we noticed the glass in the front panel of the PVC door has completely slide out and is near falling out. The seal holding it in appears to have failed. I figure since everything is still under warranty, I can call the company and sort it out.

Just phoned them, and they said the warranty is not transferable and only covers the original purchaser. Have looked through the policy and can't see anything stating it is non-transferable. Told them I thought it was quite shoddy as it's only been two years since the work was done and it is already failing! Lady said it was company policy that warranties do not transfer to new owners, but this seems quite wrong to me--surely when I purchased the house, I purchased everything, and if they guarantee the windows for ten years, they should honour that?

Anyone know the legalities of this or have experience with similar? Lady said she would talk to her boss and get back to me, so I want to be ready.

Who could I contact to complain about this if I get no joy? Trading standards? Someone like that?

HappyMummyOfOne Wed 15-Jul-09 18:30:57

They are correct, the contract was not with yourself and they have no obligation to honour any warranty.

Was it a new build or private sale? If new build, you may be able to get the builders to submit the claim.

Aeschylus Thu 16-Jul-09 20:04:58

did the previous owners tell you it was transferable?

as if they did, you will have recourse there

HerHonesty Fri 17-Jul-09 15:28:43

tbh your solicitor should have checked this out. most will allow transfer of ownership for a small fee. it sounds like you were a bit shafted by your solicitor not highlighting this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now