Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

anyone know about domestic insurance claims and how to get what you want

(19 Posts)
JohnDory Wed 15-Jul-09 11:37:52


risingstar Wed 15-Jul-09 12:58:39

depends what you want?

CMOTdibbler Wed 15-Jul-09 12:58:50

What aspect ?

annh Wed 15-Jul-09 14:16:32

Do you mean being allowed to choose replacement items from your choice of shop rather than being given e.g. Argos or Ernest Jones vouchers because that is where the insurance company deems acceptable?

JohnDory Thu 16-Jul-09 08:01:04

oh hello - sorry broadband went down.
No, to do with conservatory being put up wrong and co now bust

DaisymooSteiner Thu 16-Jul-09 10:22:15

That's not something that's covered under domestic buildings insurance, I very much doubt you've got a valid claim.

GrapefruitMoon Thu 16-Jul-09 10:49:39

Were the conservatory company apart of a Fensa type thing? If so the regulating body should have some liability I would have thought.

If not then you try your home insurance but it probably depends on what the problem is - eg if it is leaking you might be covered but if it just looks wrong maybe not. They will often get involved even if a third party is at fault - they claim whatever they pay out from the third party.

JohnDory Thu 16-Jul-09 15:33:05

its shattered glass roof panels because it wasnt put on right.

YorkshireRose Thu 16-Jul-09 15:49:58

Sorry I think your buildings insurance will not cover you because the damage is due to poor workmanship. Check your policy document for the exclusion clauses.

I had a similar situation - chimney pulled down because TV aerial not fixed to it correctly and claim was turned down.

The policy document is your contract with insurance company and it dictates whether or not you can claim.

BakewellTarts Thu 16-Jul-09 15:52:30

Most policies would cover the consequences of poor workmanship but not the poor workmanship / item affected...

YorkshireRose Thu 16-Jul-09 15:55:05

Not so sure, Bakewell, mine didn't.

Only way to tell is to look at the exact wording of the policy.

JohnDory Thu 16-Jul-09 15:55:20

Hmm, so what WOULD cover it...wink

YorkshireRose Thu 16-Jul-09 15:58:22

Worth checking with FENSA to see if they have some kind of collective liability insurance for their members. Most of these bodies don't, though.

Did you get any kind of guarantee when the windows were fitted? If it was an insurance- backed guarantee (ie it was underwritten by a reputable insurance company) you can still claim on it even if the company who fitted them have now gone bust. Have a look at your paperwork.

YorkshireRose Thu 16-Jul-09 16:00:25

JohnDory - usually the tradesman's public liability insurance or an insurance-backed guarantee if the tradesman has gone out of business.

JohnDory Thu 16-Jul-09 16:32:33

sorry if he has gone out of business he is surely not insured?
they are trading as a diffo name of course

LIZS Thu 16-Jul-09 16:37:29

I think what WR means is that a guarantee might have been underwritten by a third party so still effective as the work was constructed at te tiem the policy was live. Is it FENSA registered ?

GrapefruitMoon Thu 16-Jul-09 17:02:19

Do you have any of the paperwork from when the conservatory was built? Think if it was Fensa guaranteed it shouldn't matter if the company has gone bust?

JohnDory Thu 16-Jul-09 17:06:32

fensas website say they dont cover conservs

GrapefruitMoon Fri 17-Jul-09 08:12:18

Have you had someone out to assess it and give an estimate for the cost of putting it right? Are we talking thousands or hundreds?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now