Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can i get Credit card when i don't work but can pay with household income ?

(9 Posts)
Lilyloo Tue 14-Jul-09 19:58:11

DP works and we can afford to pay repayments.
He has applied and he thinks he may have too much credit in his name as he was turned down.
He has car payments , current credit card and a few cards that he doesn't use.
We basically have some cc debt we are paying off from failure of dp's business.
It has been on 0% and we were hoping to move it to another 0%.
I have exemplary credit rating but recently gave up work after mat leave. I have a cc in my name which is not used but obv has apr repayment on it.

Frasersmum123 Wed 15-Jul-09 14:18:38

Do you have a good credit rating? I have a credit card based on our household income as I am a SAHM.

Lilyloo Wed 15-Jul-09 16:34:58

yes have unblemished credit history , just haven't applied for anything since being off work.
Who is yours with if you don't mind me asking ?

Lilyloo Wed 15-Jul-09 19:37:13

anyone ?

famishedass Wed 15-Jul-09 19:46:46

yes you can. Just proportion a percentage of the household income, say 50%, as your income.

Lilyloo Wed 15-Jul-09 20:34:44

So can i apportion 50% as my actual income ?

midlandsmumof4 Wed 15-Jul-09 23:49:48

Cancel the cards that he doesn't use. Potential lenders will see he has access to credit which he could use-if you see what I mean.

midlandsmumof4 Wed 15-Jul-09 23:56:44

For example-he may have a card he no longer uses with a £5000 limit. He could, potentially, go out & spend £5000.00-which,in their opinion he may not be able to repay. Same goes for you-if you have a card you don't use, cancel it.

Lilyloo Thu 16-Jul-09 13:45:24

aah right thanks midland he does have a couple as he always tries to move them to 0% when initial deal ends

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now