Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can a retailer hike up the price of a product a few days before a BOGOF offer?

(16 Posts)
nigglewiggle Mon 13-Jul-09 14:07:13

I know for an item to be reduced in a "Sale" it has to have been sold at the higher price for 30 days, but do the same rules apply for "Buy One Get One Free" offer?

Ocado has Surcare washing liquid on a BOGOF offer. Just prior to the offer it was £2.79 and it is now £3.90. Can they do this?

LIZS Mon 13-Jul-09 16:19:18

You can get round the 30 days by using a disclaimer so probably they can say the week has established that higher price or maybe it was sold at that price last month, but it must say so on the promotional literature.

nigglewiggle Mon 13-Jul-09 16:29:12

Thanks Lizs. No disclaimer though. They also claim to be price-matching Tesco but there product is a more concentrated version.

I have complained and I'm waiting to hear what they say, but I wanted my ammunition ready.

I sound really sad I know grin, but these things annoy me and I buy loads of this stuff because it is the only one that doesn't aggravate my DD's eczema.

bigstripeytiger Mon 13-Jul-09 16:35:30

I dont know if its legal or not, but I'm pretty sure that Tesco do this sort of thing too. I have noticed it particularly with wine, where the pre-offer price seems to vary depending on what special offers they have on.

PortAndLemon Mon 13-Jul-09 16:38:43

I think part of the point of BOGOF promotions is that they aren't subject to the same rules as sales, so I suspect this is perfectly legal. I don't have specific legal knowledge, though.

nigglewiggle Mon 13-Jul-09 16:39:17

*Their product* blush

flier Mon 13-Jul-09 16:41:21

I've seen this happen at tesco ALOT.

hocuspontas Mon 13-Jul-09 16:42:01

Sometimes prices are kept low for a long time to compete with other supermarkets so it's hard to tell what the normal selling price is. Maybe £3.90 is their normal price and £2.79 is their long-term discounted price.

nigglewiggle Mon 13-Jul-09 16:42:46

They have replied to my email! They've ignored the question about hiking up the price and apologised about the Price-Match 'error.' They have passed it on to the relevant department to investigate.

Will keep at em!

nigglewiggle Mon 13-Jul-09 16:44:38

Glad to see it's not just Ocado.

Hocus, I see your point, but it is deliberately misleading.

nannyL Mon 13-Jul-09 23:20:07

they also do the same with fruit especially berries...

nigglewiggle Fri 17-Jul-09 22:42:49

They've reduced the price! Back to £2.79 and the offer's still on! Consumer power grin

lunavix Thu 23-Jul-09 17:35:25

Disney do it with their DVDs. They're usually various prices from around £7 to £14 then when they are BOGOF they're all £17.99!

80sMum Thu 23-Jul-09 17:57:20

As far as I'm aware, shops can charge what they like for goods providing they're not subject to any legal price restrictions. What they are not allowed to do is misrepresent a former price. So, they cannot say "Washing powder 50% off" if they've only just hiked up the price - but they CAN say "Buy one get one free" which implies 50% off but doesn't actually say it and of course isn't. I think!

shouldweorshouldntwe Thu 23-Jul-09 18:05:40

I thought all retailers put products on the highest possible price when on BOGOF.

nigglewiggle Thu 23-Jul-09 18:14:03

The thing is it was never priced at £3.90 but had always been £2.79. The higher price was for a similar product which is more concentrated.

I had a further email apologising for the "mistake" in price-matching with a different Tesco product. As a goodwill gesture they have refunded me the difference for the bottles I ordered. RESULT!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now