Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Urgent Help Needed re Voluntary Redundancy

(5 Posts)
Sycamoretreeisvile Mon 13-Jul-09 12:58:47

Can anyone help me?

I need to find out where I stand legally:

I have volunteered redunancy after a recent invitation put out by the company I work for. They have refused to accept it whilst laying off about 8 members of staff.

During my meeting I was encouraged to talk a lot about why I wanted to VR and they were very sympathetic about me hitting a ceiling and needing to move on.

They asked me to talk a week to consider my position. They told me that for the moment they weren't accepting my VR but also didn't want to hold anyone hostage.

Tomorrow I have a meeting to try and conclude all this. I still want to go, but can they refuse me the Redundancy money?

Please help. Am developing a stomach ulcer.

sis Mon 13-Jul-09 13:16:00

Sorry but generally speaking the company has the right to refuse applications for voluntary redundancy - usually they say this when they invite people to apply. They need to make sure that that the employees who are left after redundancies can do the work required, in other words, if the best employees apply, then the company will refuse their application and make other people redundant instead. Voluntary redundancy helps companies where the employees are of a similar quality/ability.

Sycamoretreeisvile Mon 13-Jul-09 14:35:34

Thanks SIS. Not what I wanted to hear but what I expected to hear.

RumourOfAHurricane Mon 13-Jul-09 14:55:50

Message withdrawn

Sycamoretreeisvile Mon 13-Jul-09 15:26:37

Thanks Shiney - Just had meeting with my immediate boss - she was sympathetic too - thinks there's still a chance they will let me go.

Now I've decided I want to, I feel like I can't stay....but I can't really leave without the money.

<<needs a discombulated emoticon>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now